Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
I may have hoarding issues with ebooks

I may have hording issue with ebooks. I have 150 books plus on kendal, some of them are series of books. Other ebooks, probally 400 books and still counting??

The software is not so bad I guess, Moon reader Pro on my phone with kendal, and a sd card that has all of my books not on kendal. Just ebooks in epub format.

Windows 10 desktop computer, I have calibre, and Ice book reader Pro (while its no longer supported and updated) I bought 10 years ago for 100 bucks. Was stop being supported and updated 6 months ago maybe a year. Works amazing on windows 10. Oddly, Ice Book Reader works better and more well behaved than Calibre which is free.

Moon Reader Pro on android supports google voices that are free, so all my epubs can be read out loud. Calibre, and Ice Book Reader on windows, Well I bought 6 or 7 voices for them, they sound pretty real, so with wireless headphones, I can just listen to ebooks anytime I want.

Oh, and Audible Ebooks, Prob 60 of them. Just been working on all this since 2012 or sooner.

Lots of my epubs are duplicates, kendal books with drm removed, and converted to epub. That way I can read them with what ever software I want to.

While I wont go into details, all I can say is it seems like the new Kendal DRM has been figured out. I have NO idea how its done, I just have a way to find said books pretty easy. Thats pretty much all I will ever say about that.

Most of Kendal books are 5 bucks at most. I refuse to pay 15 bucks for a stupid ebook, if I have to have it that bad, sooner or later it will show up in the wild.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Umm, I have 6,336 books in Calibre, of which 5,829 are on my Kobo. OK, that's only 4,104 novels, but even so I've heard of bigger ebook libraries...

I have around another 30 to log and possibly transfer over (some are already on my Kobo from an old source but got repurchased as part of a bundle).

I will admit that from all I've heard that Kindle is not big on library management, especially for series.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have well over 2,000 on Amazon alone. My excuse is that I also buy for other family members, but that's kindof weak since I'm only buying stuff that I also would read.... So I admit that I am a hoarder, but on the other hand, I'm saving up for those days when I can no longer buy them. Unfortunately a day that will be here soon.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OTOH thousands of ebooks take up less space, including the "viewer" than one 45K word paperback.
They will never block your hall, stairs or collapse the ceiling.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have over 35,000 in Calibre. About 2,000 on my Kobos (the same books on both).

Yep, I absolutely have a hoarding issue. So what? Life is short and hard, you take your joy where you can find it. Hoarding ebooks is a harmless pleasure, no one suffers because of it (except my bank account...).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
I wish calibre had a plugin that would tell you how long it will take you to finish your library. I may have to live forever to finish some 40000 books.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I don't see it as an issue at all.

Large e-libraries can be used just like a huge FTS database, for instance. I guess it depends on what the so-called "hoarder" is happy with. Maybe they just like the covers, the titles... ebooks can be just 'books' in the sense of pBooks, but they can also be a set of many interesting things or otherwise a bunch of bytes put together.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I still have over 900 paperbacks. Over 20Y of Analog Magazines.
OTOH Only my first few PC's had Hard drives that could not hold my Library.
My current biggest single hard drive is 2T ( I have 5 working PC on my network and a small NAS I use to back up to)

My LP rips take more space than my Library.
Why keep so many on the device? I have about a years worth of TBR on my Kobo. It only takes moments to change that. (I do mark Done in Calibre and remove the books from the device, once that has been done)
My problem is 99cent (or any under $4) boxed sets of the type I read. I am glad bytes are not heavy
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why keep so many on the device? I have about a years worth of TBR on my Kobo. It only takes moments to change that. (I do mark Done in Calibre and remove the books from the device, once that has been done)
Because I never know what I want to read next, so I like to have a large selection available.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Much like @Sirtel, I often pick a random book to read. I tend to go through a lot of books due to reading speed so prefer to have a decent selection at all times. My TBR is in the single digits unless I have just gone hog wild, added in the latest Baen bundle, etc.

Whether I have 10 books or 10,000 books on my Kobo, the weight doesn't change and the search results take a negligible time to appear, why not keep a good chunk of my library on my current ereader (Kobo Sage, ~1400 books). I do make an exception for my Clara HD which has a 128GB µSD card on which I store my entire library more to see if I manage to break it with various firmware updates than any other reason.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:10 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Because I never know what I want to read next, so I like to have a large selection available.
Yes, I keep ones I've read. With 32G now I'm not going to run out of space. Even 8G is a lot for ordinary novels.
It's more convenient than a physical library, which I also have.
I do use Calibre plenty.

There are instructions on Gutenberg on how to download their 70K plus. They even include use of automated tools. That would be too much for one ereader unless it had maybe a 256G store.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also all most never know what I want to read next. My house was over full of books. My wife said she was going to dump them in my coffin when I died. The laughs on her. It wouldn't hold all of them. She also says I don't drink or smoke, so my addiction is better than others.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you need any more encouragement, hard drives are amazingly cheap these days. 5TB usb drive is $115, a 3.5 inch internal 8TB is $109, and a 2TB laptop drive is $68. That dinky 2TB drive could probably store millions of ebooks.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife said she was going to dump them in my coffin when I died. The laughs on her. It wouldn't hold all of them.

Perhaps a funeral pyre?
Old 08-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
OTOH thousands of ebooks take up less space, including the "viewer" than one 45K word paperback.
They will never block your hall, stairs or collapse the ceiling.

Unless, of course, you have each ebook on its own separate ebook reader!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote