Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-19-2023, 08:38 AM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Techradar Best eReader For 2023

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-...ign=email-2022
What do Mobilread readers think?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Wasn't expecting Kobo to sweep the lineup. Good for them.

Before I read the list, though, my reply was going to be "The MobileRead forum enthusiasts are probably more qualified to answer this than TechRadar: why do we care what they think?"
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2023, 10:23 AM   #3
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Wasn't expecting Kobo to sweep the lineup. Good for them.
I don't think you were reading the same article I did.

Best Budget: Amazon Kindle (2022)
Best Kindle: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (2021) [hard for Kindle to get swept here ]
Best Premium: Amazon Kindle Scribe
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post

Best Kindle: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (2021) [hard for Kindle to get swept here ]
Didn't see the "Best Premium" category, but maybe "sweep" was the wrong word. Kobo won the ones I think most people care about:

Best Overall: Kobo Libra 2
Best Mid-Range: Kobo Clara 2E
Best Note Taker: Kobo Elipsa 2E

They probably could've won best budget, too, if the Nia didn't suck...
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Best Note Taker: Kobo Elipsa 2E
Although this might be true today, Amazon can improve the software for the Scribe to give it the edge. OTOH, Kobo can't increase the resolution of the Elipsa display to match the 300dpi of the Scribe.
Although I did see some deals on the Elipsa, I didn't see a price significantly below $300. If you could stack enough discounts, you could have gotten a Scribe on Prime day for $150 (and I've seen claims of less). That's cheap enough to buy and bet on Amazon improving the software. Even if they don't, it's still the best display for any 10" eReader.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For me the best eReader is still the PocketBook Touch HD 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me the best eReader is still the PocketBook Touch HD 3.
Yep. There is no best. It's all subjective.

I switch between my Sage and Libra 2, but I'd not call either of them the best ereader currently in existence. They both have their faults - the Sage has an uneven frontlight, the Libra has an older and slower processor. And they can both be buggy sometimes (not enough to make me go back to Kindles, but still).

If I had a Sage with the screen quality of the Libra 2 which was totally free of any bugs, I might call such a hybrid the best ereader. At the moment, though, the place is still unoccupied, as I've never had an ereader that I'd call perfect.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:59 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It was actually nice to see a best of for ereaders that realized that there are ereaders from companies other than Amazon. Seeing Kobo, Onyx and Pocketbook mentioned was nice though I had to wonder about the "Best Kindle" category.

The perfect ereader is the one that gets released 24 hours after the return period for your new ereader expires.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:38 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It was actually nice to see a best of for ereaders that realized that there are ereaders from companies other than Amazon. Seeing Kobo, Onyx and Pocketbook mentioned was nice though I had to wonder about the "Best Kindle" category.
That kinda comports with how I offer "what ereader should I get" advice, though! Are you invested in the Amazon ecosystem and don't want to change? Get a Kindle. Otherwise...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:25 AM   #10
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep. There is no best...
... there's only confirmation bias
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #11
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Are you invested in the Amazon ecosystem and don't want to change? Get a Kindle. Otherwise...
My purchased books are 160 from Amazon, and 474 from other stores, so I'm definitely not "invested in the Amazon ecosystem". I had an Onyx Boox, but now have Kindles because it's easier to get books onto them.

For books I have purchased from Amazon, or library loans fulfilled by Amazon, I just tell the Kindle to download it. For books with DRM purchased elsewhere, I can remove the DRM with Calibre and the ePub to KFX conversion in Calibre allows easy sideloading.

Although the reverse (KF8 to ePub) would allow someone to sideload to non-Kindle readers, it might not end up as good as a purchased ePub. But, by using Amazon's own tool to do the conversion from ePub to KFX means that I get essentially the same result as when an author submits their ePub to Amazon for conversion and sale.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
My purchased books are 160 from Amazon, and 474 from other stores, so I'm definitely not "invested in the Amazon ecosystem". I had an Onyx Boox, but now have Kindles because it's easier to get books onto them.

For books I have purchased from Amazon, or library loans fulfilled by Amazon, I just tell the Kindle to download it. For books with DRM purchased elsewhere, I can remove the DRM with Calibre and the ePub to KFX conversion in Calibre allows easy sideloading.

Although the reverse (KF8 to ePub) would allow someone to sideload to non-Kindle readers, it might not end up as good as a purchased ePub. But, by using Amazon's own tool to do the conversion from ePub to KFX means that I get essentially the same result as when an author submits their ePub to Amazon for conversion and sale.
This too is subjective. When I still read on Kindles, I never used KFX - I converted all my books (both Amazon purchases and those from other stores) to AZW3. The reason for this was the FONT_RAMP hack (customized font sizes), which was essential to me and which only works with AZW3. No KFX for my Kindles, ever. Now of course it's a moot point, as I currently only read on Kobo readers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
library loans fulfilled by Amazon
This is not a thing in my country (same in most of the world). That's why I don't advise Kindles unless people are invested and don't want to change.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Number alone say it would be less work to get the Amazon books onto another reader. The process you follow is the same either way and 160 is a lower number than 474.

Quote:
The Kindle Unpack plug-in (I think that is the correct name?) does the same thing with AZW3 to ePub. And I've learned from purchasing enough indie books, you don't always want the ePub that was uploaded by the author
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post

It's partly Amazon centric as there's a Best Kindle and no Best Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote