Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 04:03 AM   #1
nano5
Connoisseur
nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sharing by email

Recent recipe-documents’ name, e.g “The New Yorker Magazine” will appear as random string when retrieved on Kindle device, when using calibre “Sharing by email”… but sending through Apple Mail directly will have no problem
nano5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The filename was changed to a random string to try to workaround bugs in amazon's email service. That should not affect the actual document title, since that is read from metadata not filename.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
nano5
Connoisseur
nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thank you to clarify this
nano5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon appears to have recently changed send-to-kindle via email so that the attachment name is used as the title. The title contained in the internal metadata is being ignored.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon appears to have recently changed send-to-kindle via email so that the attachment name is used as the title. The title contained in the internal metadata is being ignored.
Are you sure? Because they dont support non-ascii filenames. Of course if they actually did this, it would likely be deliberate to cripple their sideloading some more.
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you sure? Because they dont support non-ascii filenames. Of course if they actually did this, it would likely be deliberate to cripple their sideloading some more.
That appears to be the case as of yesterday. There is some discussion in the recent posts in this thread.

Hopefully this new behavior is a bug that will be corrected.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
darrenma
darrenma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
it looks like ture. I found The Economist in my kindle in a random string title which is share by fetch news through emails today.
darrenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:47 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sigh. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is Amazon. If they don't fix the bug by the next calibre release I will revert to sending ascii-ized filenames. Non-English speakers are just out of luck I guess.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:46 AM   #9
darrenma
darrenma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Sigh. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is Amazon. If they don't fix the bug by the next calibre release I will revert to sending ascii-ized filenames. Non-English speakers are just out of luck I guess.
Last version is friendly to me in which the email title is same as the book title, and the file named as "Title - Author", it's easy for to search the books in my email which have been sent. but the latest version makes it difficult to know what it is in my email as the title is a random string
darrenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
Frank Baasner
Frank Baasner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10 Gen.
Unhappy Random string title of ebooks sent to Kindle

I have the same behaviour on both a Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Oasis 10th generation. Regardless of the supported format of the ebook the title always appears as a random string when sent by email from calibre.
(I tried epub, azw3 and docx; I did not found AZW conversion in calibre)

I tried to send the ebook in AZW3 format from my Apple email account as an attachment, but that did not work. I did not receive it on my kindle and I did not get an error message by email from Amazon.

Any idea how I can get ebooks which I have not bought by Amazon downloaded to my Kindle?
Frank Baasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Baasner View Post
I tried to send the ebook in AZW3 format from my Apple email account as an attachment, but that did not work. I did not receive it on my kindle and I did not get an error message by email from Amazon.
Did you add your Apple email address to the safe senders list on your Amazon account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Baasner View Post
Any idea how I can get ebooks which I have not bought by Amazon downloaded to my Kindle?
Kovid has already made a change to calibre that will do away with the random titles in the next calibre release. You could also revert to a calibre version older than 6.5 to fix it immediately.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #12
Frank Baasner
Frank Baasner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10 Gen.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Did you add your Apple email address to the safe senders list on your Amazon account?

Kovid has already made a change to calibre that will do away with the random titles in the next calibre release. You could also revert to a calibre version older than 6.5 to fix it immediately.
You are right, I've forgotten to add the Apple email address in my Amazon account. Fixed it meanwhile but it worked only with DOCX format. Sending the AZW3 file by my Apple email account doesn't work either.

However, I am looking forward to install a new Calibre Release. That's what I expected because sending an ebook from Calibre didn't work with any format.

I found another workaround getting the right ebook title on my Kindle:
Beside sending a DOCX file from my Apple email account the best option is to drag and drop the ebook in AZW3 format from Calibre (using a virtual Calibre library consisting only of the AZW3 formats) to the USB connected Kindle. Only disadvantage: The kindle is showing a generic cover.
Frank Baasner is offline   Reply With Quote