Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
theantiquated
theantiquated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD stuck on sleeping screen

Hi all, I have Kobo Clara HD that is stuck on the sleeping screen. I suspect the battery must have died while it was in sleep move. However, I've tried charging it for several hours and the screen is still frozen.

I am not able to turn off the kobo and the manual reset doesn't do anything as well, the screen remains frozen in sleeping mode. Has anyone else had the same experience / ideas on how to resolve this?

Thank you!
theantiquated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
xavierc
xavierc began at the beginning.

I have exactly the same problem. I also suspected a drained battery since the screen was displaying a message saying that I needed to charge but after charging it for several hours on wall plug and USB attached to laptop, I got no luck to wake it up (of course I also tried a soft reset with no success and my understanding is that there is no way to perform a factory reset).

I opened it and measured a voltage of nearly 4V for the battery so it seems that a software problem is freezing everything...

Could it be a damaged image and restoring it would help ?

Thanks for your help
xavierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

I've been getting occasional freezes for the last month or so. They sound pretty similar to what's described here (gets stuck on the sleep screen or on a page in the book; won't go to sleep/wake up/reboot normally). However, mine will reboot if I long-press the power button (20+ seconds). It doesn't always work the first time, but usually does if I try again later. I initially thought it was a battery problem, too, but charging doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

I'm a bit worried that my Clara was starting to die, but my father's Forma did the same thing the other day, so maybe it's a software bug?
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
I've been getting occasional freezes for the last month or so. They sound pretty similar to what's described here (gets stuck on the sleep screen or on a page in the book; won't go to sleep/wake up/reboot normally). However, mine will reboot if I long-press the power button (20+ seconds). It doesn't always work the first time, but usually does if I try again later. I initially thought it was a battery problem, too, but charging doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

I'm a bit worried that my Clara was starting to die, but my father's Forma did the same thing the other day, so maybe it's a software bug?
What version firmware are you running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What version firmware are you running?
4.33.19759. No instances of this kind of freeze in previous versions of the firmware. We'll see if it continues being a problem for the new update.
Advert
Old 10-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #6
walldecor
walldecor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but I've been having the exact same issue with mine, to the point where the screen no longer turns on. I've requested a new image from some generous person off the forum. I'll reimage and see whether that works.

I left it charging overnight and later tried the manual reset a la the Kobo website, but I've had no success so far. It's bizarre because my PC makes the USB-attach and -detach noises when I plug it in and unplug it, but I can't view any of the files; it doesn't show up as a new drive.

Fingers crossed I can find some sort of solution!
walldecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:15 PM   #7
walldecor
walldecor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Apologies for the double post, but--the new image worked! My Clara has come back to life. I'm so happy.

Now I'm going to edit it using all the wonderful tools on this forum, lol.
walldecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Curiously, my Clara got stuck on the sleeping screen this past Saturday. It was around 50% battery the night before, and when I opened it to read the next day, it wouldn't wake up. I plugged it into a power source, and it went through the cold boot process and presented the home screen with the battery showing around 40%. I let the battery charge up to 100%, and the problem has not recurred.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
Parsley
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldecor View Post
Apologies for the double post, but--the new image worked! My Clara has come back to life. I'm so happy.
Hooray!

FWIW, my occasional freezes seem to have completely gone away [knocks on wood] with the 4.34 firmware. So I guess what we have in this thread is a bunch of different root problems manifesting similarly. Not a big surprise, but ah well.