Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
vFbjgBDhV
vFbjgBDhV began at the beginning.

Device: none
Changing a book without losing the annotations

I have a book on the Kobo aura one that I would like to make some changes to with sigil or calibre.
The book, however, contains many annotations and highlights and if I make changes to the book the device considers it a new book and eliminates the annotations.

Is there a way to make changes to a book on the kobo A1 without losing the annotations?
vFbjgBDhV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I save the annotations with KoboUtilities into a text file and edit the source.

I can't see a simple way because the annotations relate to source text and locations that might be gone in a revised version.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you use calibre, it supports resending a book to the device without losing the reading status or annotations. But, this only works if the internal structure of the book hasn't been changed. If you are changing styles, fixing spelling or grammar, it will work. But, if you change the ToC or the internal file structure of the book, there can be problems. The book will probably open, but navigation probably won't. And annotations probably won't be linked properly.

If the book format is ePub, and you are not using calibre, replacing the file can work. The book will be added as new book, but, the annotations are stored in two places. The main copy in database will be removed. But, there is a copy created by the RMSDK. When you open the book, this is read and loaded into the database. There is some information lost, but, assuming the structure of the book hasn't changed, it should work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote