Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
The_book
Zealot
The_book began at the beginning.

Device: none
In epub converting calibre auto split file in header. Why not create toc from header.

I am converting .md file to epub. Then I have some advice.

1. can convertion use filename as title in default if there is no title found in md meta?

2. calibre split file in header h*, so why not create e-book toc from headers in default?
The_book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Auto generate might have unwanted effects.
(I find it amazing how many self Pub's still use H tags for big and bolder. Chap #, Chap Title, Time-Place. That can make for a pretty busy TOC just for the Start of a chapter )

Calibre already has a stand alone TOC tool (you can add it to your Toolbar) that allow a choice. (I think this is the exact same one as built into the book editor)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 01:38 AM   #3
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Auto generate might have unwanted effects.
(I find it amazing how many self Pub's still use H tags for big and bolder. Chap #, Chap Title, Time-Place. That can make for a pretty busy TOC just for the Start of a chapter )

Calibre already has a stand alone TOC tool (you can add it to your Toolbar) that allow a choice. (I think this is the exact same one as built into the book editor)
So how to use this TOC tool in ebook-convert.exe cli? Is the --toc-title opinion? I mean to form a toc with h1-h6 in epub

Last edited by The_book; 11-06-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By Standalone, I meant part of the main Calibre GUI as opposed to the e-book editor.

I don't use the CLI convert option. The main GUI has
Preferences:Common options: Structure Detections
where you set an xpath template
Old 11-06-2020, 01:59 AM   #5
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
By Standalone, I meant part of the main Calibre GUI as opposed to the e-book editor.

I don't use the CLI convert option. The main GUI has
Preferences:Common options: Structure Detections
where you set an xpath template
And I hardly use calibre gui. I use calibre as ebook-viewer (gui) and ebook-converter (cli).

It's because if I do not use converter in cli, I need to open gui, add book, convert, copy/export converted file, remove file from calibre.

Last edited by The_book; 11-06-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 02:11 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You can call the Editor from the CLI, and use the tools there without adding to calibre.

Convert is separate. But my original suggestion was more of a 'look for similar' in the CLI documentation
Old 11-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
--level1-toc --level2-toc and --level3-toc

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...k-convert.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
--level1-toc --level2-toc and --level3-toc

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...k-convert.html
Thanks. By the way, what is the difference between //h:h1 and //h1 in xpath?