Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
crowned
crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Buying the latest Paperwhite... jailbreak, calibre?

Hi all, I'm planning to buy my girlfriend a kindle paperwhite for christmas--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NRGKDLDE6LWIZP

here are my questions:

is it still possible to jailbreak it using only a USB cable, and add screensavers.
Can i use it with calibre (like I can with my paperwhite 2) to read mobi file formats?

I'm worried that the latest Paperwhite might be really locked down, so I'll either buy a used Paperwhite 2, or, if you say that the New Paperwhite is fine, I'll get that.

Thanks!
crowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowned View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJE3MGU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&cre ativeASIN=B00QJE3MGU&linkCode=as2&tag=cloint-20&linkId=UONRGKDLDE6LWIZP

here are my questions:

is it still possible to jailbreak it using only a USB cable, and add screensavers.
Can i use it with calibre (like I can with my paperwhite 2) to read mobi file formats?

I'm worried that the latest Paperwhite might be really locked down, so I'll either buy a used Paperwhite 2, or, if you say that the New Paperwhite is fine, I'll get that.

Thanks!
That is called a PW-3 here.

No.

No.

It is not locked down against using the serial port to jail break it.

= = = =

No hope there, all of the touch screen Kindles (except the original K5 touch) are running the 5.6.x series firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
crowned
crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is called a PW-3 here.

No.

No.

It is not locked down against using the serial port to jail break it.

= = = =

No hope there, all of the touch screen Kindles (except the original K5 touch) are running the 5.6.x series firmware.
Oh god.

Right now I'm running 5.4.2.1 on my PW2, it's jailbroken and...

1. I download non-DRM books and load (is this called sideloading?) them with Calibre (I don't know what format. I think mobi--can I still read those or is there a new PW-3 format?)
2. Have Backdoor Lock blocking OTA updates.
3. Have KUALauncher and with it, a great PDF reader
4. Have my own custom screensavers (I built a screensaver maker here: https://crowned.github.io/kindlesaver/ )

Just to make sure I'm clear...

Which can I do with a jailbroken PW3?

With a non-jailbroken PW3?

If I get a PW2 running 5.6.x can I use a USB to downgrade?

Last edited by crowned; 11-25-2015 at 01:24 PM.
crowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -

Just to make sure I'm clear, Which can I do with a jailbroken PW-3? With a non-jailbroken PW-3? Is there a thread that explains all this? Thanks!
With JB - Anything you can do with any other JB model, except a few firmware version specific things (Collections Manager comes to mind).

Without JB - Anything that Amazon intended for you to do.

No.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NRGKDLDE6LWIZP

here are my questions:

Thanks!
As I understand it:

There is a JB, and _I think_ it will ultimately be released (others might know more about that...), but if it's released, you need to make sure it will work with the FW version on the PW. There's a thread on here about it. If you buy a PW, keep the wifi off. Amazon is currently working on a FW to patch the as yet unreleased JB.

Re: mobi, yes you can convert Amazon file formats books via Calibre, but not currently the new KFX file format. At the moment you can download non-KFX files via a PC, but that might change (they recently added KFX to the Android app).

So it's a bit iffy...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
But to answer 1 question clearly, you can still sideload your books onto a Kindle PW3 with Calibre. The paperwhite can read either Mobi or KF8 documents that Calibre creates.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
uncletoma
Connoisseur
uncletoma doesn't litteruncletoma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
PW3 can read unprotected mobi, right?
So i can put an epub ebook that i've, convert it with Calibre, put it on PW3 via USB or email, right?
And: can i manage a PW3 with Calibre, converting epub->mobi/azw in an automatic way?
Thanks.

Last edited by uncletoma; 11-26-2015 at 04:19 PM.
uncletoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You really would be better with KF8 instead of Mobi.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletoma View Post
PW3 can read unprotected mobi, right?
So i can put an epub ebook that i've, convert it with Calibre, put it on PW3 via USB or email, right?
And: can i manage a PW3 with Calibre, converting epub->mobi/azw in an automatic way?
Thanks.
Yeah no worries converting to mobi or kf8 as jswolf says and sideloading via Calibre. That wont change.

You can produce something like collections or tags using Calibre and a plugin. I think its called plugboard or something.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
plugboards are a builtin part of calibre (Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Metadata plugboards)

What it does is modify the ebook metadata on the fly, so you can insert, say, series info into the title.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
uncletoma
Connoisseur

I'll try to do some of those things when my PW3 is arrived (seems tomorrow ) but, btw, what's KF8?
Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletoma View Post
I'll try to do some of those things when my PW3 is arrived (seems tomorrow ) but, btw, what's KF8?
An e-book format specific to Amazon.
Lots of information about it in our Wiki.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot
Last question: azw3 or kf8 converting with Calibre?
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
AZW3 and KF8 are two names for the same exact thing.

KF8 is the Kindle Format 8, which uses the filename extension .azw3

Likewise, AZW and MOBI are the same thing. Amazon uses the .azw filename extension, which indicates it is a mobipocket book sold by Amazon and might have their DRM wrapped around it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-01-2015 at 12:51 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot