Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any reason to move up from 0.7.2?

I just read in another thread there's an 0.8.4. I'm running Linux (Xubuntu) and have been delighted with 0.7.2. (I'm a writer making novels.) Would there be any substantive reason to upgrade to 0.8.4 or whatever? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Support for plugins written in Python is the main new feature in v0.8.x.

There's also been many bugs fixed in Qt5 since v0.7.2 (and several crash-related bugs fixed in Sigil's code as well).

If you're not experiencing any buggy behavior or crashes and you have no interest in running or creating plugins, then there may be no compelling reason for you to update.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Support for plugins written in Python is the main new feature in v0.8.x.

There's also been many bugs fixed in Qt5 since v0.7.2 (and several crash-related bugs fixed in Sigil's code as well).

If you're not experiencing any buggy behavior or crashes and you have no interest in running or creating plugins, then there may be no compelling reason for you to update.
That's good news, Diap, because I really do like 0.7.2 and I'm not doing anything with plugins. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't remember when the Preview pane was introduced, but if you don't have it in 0.7.2, I think it would be well worthwhile to update.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I don't remember when the Preview pane was introduced, but if you don't have it in 0.7.2, I think it would be well worthwhile to update.
0.7.2 has the preview pane, Notjohn.
Advert
Old 03-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I also stayed a long time on 0.7.2. However, the plugins made me upgrade. There are some plugins that are really helpful and I use them every time I finish a book.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
That's good news, Diap, because I really do like 0.7.2 and I'm not doing anything with plugins. Thanks.
You're not doing anything with plugins, because you CAN'T do anything with plugins! It's worth investigating.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Gregg: The preview pane is different from the Book View - I don't think the preview pane was available in 0.7x
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
Gregg: The preview pane is different from the Book View - I don't think the preview pane was available in 0.7x
It most definitely is. If I recall correctly, the preview pane was introduced in the 0.6.x versions.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
0.8.x brought plugins, the Preserve Entities preference, various bugfixes, and a newer version of Qt5 (with its own bugfixes). That's about it.

I happen to think those are huge reasons for upgrading, myself, but mileage will vary.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It most definitely is. If I recall correctly, the preview pane was introduced in the 0.6.x versions.
I never rush to update, and evidently I am also slow to notice radical new improvements. I only discovered the Preview pane a few months ago, and I felt it was a marvelous advance. WYSIWYG (for all practical purposes)!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote