Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
alexhost
alexhost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
How to create collections without registration

Hi Guys,

I have a Kindle 4 NT Serial number B023 1701 xxx xxxx with firmware: 4.1.0.

I want to create collections but for that normally it is necessary to register it.My problem is that where I live at this moment, incredible but true, I do not have access to wireless networks.

Please help me to find a way to create collections.
alexhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't think you can create collections on a Kindle without registration of the Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You must jailbreak to gain command-line access (KUAL+kterm, or USBNetwork), then do stuff similar to this guide for the KPW: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193260

the reginfo file seems to be the correct file going back a number of versions (at least since Kindle Touch versions) so it *should* work for the K4NT but no promises. WiFi will remove the false registration but I suppose by then you can register for real.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's an awful lot easier just to go to some place with free WiFi (MacDonalds is always a good choice), and register there. The system happily works thereafter with no WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't remember if the K4 might not be the weird duck with the XML reginfo file...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
AFAIK, Kindle Collections plugin for Calibre allows creating collections without registration.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't remember if they actually show up on an unregistered device, though...

(That's a lot of things I don't remember... ^^).
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I can't remember if they actually show up on an unregistered device, though...

(That's a lot of things I don't remember... ^^).
They don't on mine. Unless I did something wrong.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Shopaholic: That sounds right, CM doesn't do anything besides creating them, if the 'block' is somewhere else, it doesn't do anything special. I vaguely remember that's how Kindle always behaved, even before the new collection backend in FW 5.x. I'm not sure, but your experience seems to confirm it.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
alexhost

thank you all for try to help me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You must jailbreak to gain command-line access (KUAL+kterm, or USBNetwork), then do stuff similar to this guide for the KPW: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193260

the reginfo file seems to be the correct file going back a number of versions (at least since Kindle Touch versions) so it *should* work for the K4NT but no promises. WiFi will remove the false registration but I suppose by then you can register for real.
I just read the threat you mentioned above but it's nothing easy. Someone done this specific procedure to a KINDLE 4 NT?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
alexhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's an awful lot easier just to go to some place with free WiFi (MacDonalds is always a good choice), and register there. The system happily works thereafter with no WiFi.
I will be for some time in demmingen dischingen, Germany. It is a little town in the middle of nothing, where I can not find any public WIFI
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
alexhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
AFAIK, Kindle Collections plugin for Calibre allows creating collections without registration.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635
In the meantime I will give it a try with the calibre plugin
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The plugin should work.

It makes sense since collections are kept when you deregister -- you just cannot edit them, and when you reregister they are wiped nd replaced by the new account's collections if any. So by creating collections through the plugin, or Collection Manager kindlet for touch devices, which do not respect Amazon's block, it should show up.

This was just confirmed by the Paperwhite, at least.

Tell us how it goes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhost View Post
I will be for some time in demmingen dischingen, Germany. It is a little town in the middle of nothing, where I can not find any public WIFI
WiFi access is available at some hotels, in the town NEAR where you will be staying:

http://www.booking.com/place/de-1758357.html

Explain your situation, pay them a bit of money for their kindness, register, say 'thank you' again, and then leave with a big smile on your face.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finding SOMEWHERE with WiFi access (eg a cafe, or a friend with a Smartphone with a WiFi hotspot) really shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility these days. You only need it for a couple of minutes, and then never again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote