Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
benmordecai
benmordecai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Google Play Books for Android
Calibre fails to work with system tray in Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon

To start Calibre in the system tray, normally you can execute the command:

Code:
calibre --start-in-tray
When I do it, it always fails and opens in a normal window. Executing the above instruction in the terminal tells me:

Code:
Failed to create system tray icon, your desktop environment probably does not support the StatusNotifier spec
It would surprise me if this was really true, since I have other tray icons working like Teamviewer, Fl.ux, and Syncthing-GTK working in the tray.

I tried installing KDE and booting into it, and the problem was solved, but I don't plan on continuing to use KDE and Cinnamon side-by-side on the same OS install. Also, in my troubleshooting, I learned the devs recommend uninstalling the version of Calibre that is in the OS repositories and instead install the binary with a wget command from the Calibre website.

Is the calibre system tray icon really incompatible with the Cinnamon tray? If so, is there another tray I could install?
benmordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, it really is. You need a tray that implements the StatusNotifier spec. calibre does not support the obsolete X window based status icons as they have many issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
benmordecai
benmordecai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Google Play Books for Android
Kovid, I am humbled you took the time to respond, thank you. I will research how to add a new system tray.
benmordecai is offline   Reply With Quote