Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 07:18 PM   #1
jberlyn
jberlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
[kosync-dotnet] KOReader Sync Server

I wrote my own KOReader sync server that can be self-hosted using Docker. It is built in .NET and is entirely API compatible with the KOReader progress sync plugin.

Wait...isn't there an official KOReader sync server that you can self-host?

Correct. However, I had one major issue with it. If you expose the server to the public internet, anyone can register an account on your server and use it.

Just don't expose it publicly you say? Well, since most people will use KOReader on their E Ink devices, such as a Kobo or Kindle, there isn't really a way to setup a VPN or a mesh service like Tailscale.

With kosync-dotnet, you can pass an environment variable that will allow you to disable account registration altogether. When someone tries to create an account with this setting enabled, they will always see an "Account registration is disabled" error when trying to register.

Okay, so how do I get it?

It's free, open-source and available over on GitHub.

https://github.com/jberlyn/kosync-dotnet
jberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:27 AM   #2
FlyGoneCrazy
FlyGoneCrazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Not very popular thread as I see. Anyways, huge thank you. Will try it, as yesterday I've started using an official one and immediately got scared - anyone can register on it. And I do not want that for sure.
FlyGoneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #3
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
There's also an implementation in RUST available:
https://git.rustysoft.de/martin/kosyncrs

It's the version that I'm using (I'm not the developer, to be clear ).
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote