Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Exclamation Uninstall Nickel Menu

Hi,

So, I want to give my Libra H20 to my mother.

I started to reset and clean the Kobo.

But Nickel Menu kept sticking around.

I reinstalled it, because I trashed the files and folders before in the process of cleaning the Kobo.

Again, I try the procedure : create a file named uninstall (.rtf in my case) in .adds/nm

Note that I add to create the .adds folder because it was gone.

Anyways, I reboot and reboot, Nickel Menu is still there, at the bottom right of the Kobo.

I also tried to force a safe boot or something by hard pressing the power button when the Kobo reboots. Still no luck.

I'm out of option...

Any experts here?

Thanks.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Maybe, create a file named 'uninstall' not 'uninstall.rtf'?
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Maybe, create a file named 'uninstall' not 'uninstall.rtf'?
I'm on a Mac.

The only way I could think of is to create a text edit file.

I don't think I can suppress the .rtf. But even so, I'm not sure it is necessary.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I don't think I can suppress the .rtf. But even so, I'm not sure it is necessary.
It's absolutely necessary to NOT have a file extension.

Try opening up a command line terminal, type
Code:
touch uninstall
and copy the file it makes to the Kobo.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I think I will be adding an uninstall menu item to the default (no-config) menu items in the next version since it's difficult to create files without extensions on non-Linux operating systems, and also because I'm receiving quite a few emails about people buying second-hand or third-party Kobos with NM preinstalled.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I think I will be adding an uninstall menu item to the default (no-config) menu items in the next version since it's difficult to create files without extensions on non-Linux operating systems, and also because I'm receiving quite a few emails about people buying second-hand or third-party Kobos with NM preinstalled.
That would be a good idea!

Thanks.

Linux and MacOS are not that far away. I’ll try to figure out how to make a file with no extension. I guess a folder would no do?
Old 11-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #7
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:

Thanks.

Linux and MacOS are not that far away. I’ll try to figure out how to make a file with no extension. I guess a folder would no do?
In windows, since i have the setting to show extension file format, i just delete the file extension name of a .txt file named 'uninstall'
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Thanks.

Just duplicate the included configuration file, it should appear as a blank terminal window ish thing. Rename the duplicate to uninstall.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
deleted2
Member Retired

Success!

Right on the Kobo, I erased the extension .rtf from the empty text file. The Mac asked me if I wanted to do this. Well, of course, dear. and tadam! After the Kobo rebooted, Nickel Menu was gone.

Thank you all very much for your help and time.