Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Gary Friedman
Gary Friedman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Microsoft Word not labeling Chapter Headers as <h1>

Hi. I'm new here. I have a large, complex book written in Microsoft Word 2010. I use headings religiously. When I import the .docx file into Calibre, Heading 2 appears in the HTML as <h2> and Heading 3 as <h3>; however Heading 1 (the chapter names) appear as:

<div id="id_Toc401662553" style="display:table-row" class="block_21"><span class="bullet_1" style="display:table-cell">Chapter 1 </span><span style="display:table-cell"><span class="text_21">E-M1 Firmware 2.0</span></span></div>
</div>

i.e., there's no <h1> in there. I'm confident that this is a Word problem and not a Calibre problem. Can anyone advise me on the proper way to configure word so items formatted as Heading 1 show up as <h1>? I don't want to spend several hours rebuilding my TOC by hand.

Sample (small) file is attached. I removed the images to keep the file size small and exported it as a .doc file since the forum doesn't list .docx as a valid attachment format. Gary
Attached Files
File Type: doc E-M1 Firmware 2 for epub.doc (184.5 KB, 743 views)
Gary Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What you might want to do is to look at Toxaris's Word add-on e-Book Tools - a Word add-in.

You could also ask for assistance from Toxaris in that thread; he has a lot of experience with Word to ePub conversions.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to use the Heading 1 style, and dont use a numbering style, from that HTML it looks like you have your headings numbered. And note that you can use the Word tool to automatically create a Table of Contents in the Word file, which calibre will use. And dont use the Word Add in, it will throw away large fractions of your formatting.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Gary Friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You have to use the Heading 1 style, and dont use a numbering style, from that HTML it looks like you have your headings numbered. And note that you can use the Word tool to automatically create a Table of Contents in the Word file, which calibre will use. And dont use the Word Add in, it will throw away large fractions of your formatting.
Thank you for your insight! Interestingly, I AM using the "Heading 1 style" (and heading 2 and heading 3... but only <h2>s and <h3>s are appearing in the XHTML) and I AM using word's native tool to generate a Table of Contents. Calibre is picking up only the h2 and h3 level entries when it builds its table of contents.

Can you look at the .doc file I had attached to see if there's something wrong with the way Heading 1 was configured?? I think that's where the problem lies, but I'm not sure how to change it so it behaves properly.

GF
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Friedman View Post
Thank you for your insight! Interestingly, I AM using the "Heading 1 style" (and heading 2 and heading 3... but only <h2>s and <h3>s are appearing in the XHTML) and I AM using word's native tool to generate a Table of Contents. Calibre is picking up only the h2 and h3 level entries when it builds its table of contents.

GF
Kovid already told you the problem - you've used one of the lesser used features of Word - Numbering in a Header Style. Some of the more esoteric features in Word won't convert - there maybe technical reasons, or it may be a case of 'where does one stop'.

See attachment.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	130023  

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-22-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: better attachment
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Gary Friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Kovid already told you the problem - you've used one of the lesser used features of Word - Numbering in a Header Style. Some of the more esoteric features in Word won't convert - there maybe technical reasons, or it may be a case of 'where does one stop'.

See attachment.

BR
Got it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everyone's rapid response!! GF

Tags
chapter, heading, word