Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #1171
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
@NiLuJe,
If we enable SSH over WIFI and enable USBnet start at boot, will SSH over USB also work?

I.e. will SSH over USB still work if WIFI daemon fail to start for any reason?
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:51 PM   #1172
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's still a single daemon, so it's irrelevant.

What it *will* affect is that enabling SSH over WiFi *requires* valid authentication, unlike the defaults.

So, make sure you have a working keypair setup first.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 07:07 PM   #1173
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
In Battery Status was able to change the Temperature units with:
Code:
eips_print_bottom_centered "Temperature: $(gasgauge-info -k)°C ($(printf "%.*f" "2" "$(echo "$(gasgauge-info -k | awk '{print $1}')" | awk '{print ($1 * (9/5) + 32)}')") °F)" 1
However, gasgauge-info itself gives the values and units together, like "293 mAh".

I am not sure how to nicely truncate units, take only value, divide by 1000 and attach unit. Should be trivial, I'll give it a try

Last edited by mergen3107; 11-24-2023 at 07:19 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #1174
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright, here is the fixed version. Tested on 5.16.2.

I also put it in the root of KUAL menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryStatus_Kindle_Scribe_5.16.2.png
Views:	82
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	204897  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BatteryStatus_Kindle_Scribe_5.16.2.zip (27.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-25-2023, 09:40 PM   #1175
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
I'm thinking about how to adapt this to oasis3 but without changing the scribe version and how to center the text to the colons...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2023-11-26_03-39-48.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	204910  
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #1176
Hightree
Enthusiast

Whats the most earliest point in boot process where one can start any SSH server (e.g. Dropbear)?

At what point in boot process network protocols are initialized?
Is it initialized in the kernel or by some daemon?

Any other dependencies needed for Dropbear/SSH?
For specificity we can concentrate on KT2 or higher.
Are there any library dependencies for Dropbear?
Old 11-28-2023, 10:03 AM   #1177
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

USBNet should already be running as early as I deemed safe the last time I looked at the upstart depgraph (which, granted, was years and years ago).

You're welcome to revisit that, but fair warning: upstart's can be pretty annoying to deal with, and fucking things up *will* soft-brick a device.

TL;DR: Don't play with this on a device without serial access.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:29 PM   #1178
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
USBNet should already be running as early as I deemed safe
Thank you for your response.
My question isn't really about USBnet, but rather if there's any way to get any console over USB earlier in boot process? (doesn't have to be SSH)

I'm not going to move USBnet priority in upstart, but rather hope to add smth very simple, hopefully not even requiring network.

Is there a way to organize communication over USB w/o TCP/IP stack similar to serial protocol?
Is there any protocol for USB supported by kernel? (3.xxx I guess in KT2)
Old 11-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #1179
Hightree
Enthusiast

Whats the file name of USB port in say KT2?
Couldn't find any device containing "usb" string.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:15 PM   #1180
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@NiLuJe , @Marek
How can I disable this “feature” that if Kindle is being restarted while plugged in to PC it starts up at this semi-debug mode? Windows pops that says “Collecting debug info”, all books have no cover (including KUAL and KOReader).

Then I have to disconnect the cable and restart again.

It annoys me because I primarily use SSH over cable and I need to unplug it and then reset all SSH terminal sessions and SFTP folders after each restart.

Thanks!
@ NiLuJe,

This only happens when I have `Enable SSH on boot` in USB Network. Can this be fixed?
Old 11-30-2023, 02:15 PM   #1181
mergen3107
Wizard

What logs can I provide you?
Old 11-30-2023, 11:01 PM   #1182
mergen3107
Wizard

I found this in the USBnet README_FIRST.txt file:

Keep in mind that OpenSSH will *ALWAYS* check the passwords, unlike dropbear in non-wifi mode, so, make sure you auth via shared keys, or have switched/know
your passwords! (Hint: run kindletool info $(cat /proc/usid) on your device . Unless you already changed your password once, the first password shown will be the right one).
On my Kindle Scribe 5.16.2 it shows:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# kindletool info $(cat /proc/usid)
Unknown device 23M (0x875).
Can this be a problem for usbnet?

I mean, I don't need the password since since I am using ssh-key pair, but maybe usbnet relies on this to be found at some point?
Old 11-30-2023, 11:17 PM   #1183
mergen3107
Wizard

I enabled verbose mode in USBnet.
1) In normal restart without cable, after the **** JAILBREAK **** meassage under the boy under the tree, it says "N Switching from mass storage to usbnet", then two more lines (something like "starting sshd" and something about iptables).

2) With the cable, it only shows the first line, "N Switching from mass storage to usbnet".

How else can I see what is going on?
Old 12-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #1184
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Can this be a problem for usbnet?
It's perfectly harmless and will magically fix itself once everything is rebuilt.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #1185
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
I enabled verbose mode in USBnet.
1) In normal restart without cable, after the **** JAILBREAK **** meassage under the boy under the tree, it says "N Switching from mass storage to usbnet", then two more lines (something like "starting sshd" and something about iptables).

2) With the cable, it only shows the first line, "N Switching from mass storage to usbnet".

How else can I see what is going on?
You shouldn't be seeing the JAILBREAK banner on every boot with an up to date hotfix, but, who knows, this shit be weird.

1/ Yes.

2/ It probably does the same but the backlog and/or timing is different so what ends up being *visible* is different.

(There are only three lines available, and different hacks, or even different parts of a single hack can step over each other. i.e., it's not the source of truth, it's just a general indication of "something happened").

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje