Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2023, 05:19 PM   #1156
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Hightree: Depending no your use-cases, playing with the ZSH profile/env in /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/zsh might be enough to fake it.

But if you were hoping to use it for scp/sftp, that won't quite work, because ZSH isn't the default shell.

I honestly don't recall what's persistent and what's dynamic, but assuming none of that is dynamic, you might have better luck just creating a new dedicated user that lives wherever you want it.

(I wouldn't necessarily recommend touching the state of the root account, because you never really know what that might break in fun and interesting ways...).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:16 PM   #1157
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
But if you were hoping to use it for scp/sftp, that won't quite work, because ZSH isn't the default shell.
Thank you.
I do use sftp (my client supports also SCP,FTP,Webdav,Amazon S3).
Not sure why it matters that ZSH isn't the default shell?
For SFTP a profile/settings isn't needed, so I could use a default shell for SFTP.
Only need profile for SSH/console.

Quote:
you might have better luck just creating a new dedicated user that lives wherever you want it.
Is in Kindle (KT2 and later) account created with the same tools as for regular linux?
I'm not a linux person, so my questions may be silly
If its same tools as with regular linux, there should be plenty info on web.
Can I create another user with ROOT priveleges from default root account?
Any recommended path for new account?

Last edited by Hightree; 11-13-2023 at 10:19 PM.
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 06:34 AM   #1158
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Python unistall script fails

PW5 here, fw 5.16.2.1 with Language Jailbreak running without issue.

When jailbreaking, I installed successfully the python plugin, but lately I've read a message from Niluje stating it is not needed on this fw version, so I decided to uninstall it.
I have put the uninstall.bin in mrpackages folder and run the mrpi installer, but it says "script failed, moving on" and eventually reboots the UI.

When rebooting, I'm finding a new txt document among my books:

Spoiler:
Summary of logs/ccdb
This is just a summary, so please attach to any bugs: KPPMainAppV2_25000_031-juno_160201_malbec_bellatrix-406459_crash_Nov_17_11.55.00_2023.tgz

System Software Version: 031-juno_160201_malbec_bellatrix-406459
Sat Jun 10 03:39:48 UTC 2023
com.lab126.eink.malbec.os

------------------------------------
{diffs} | {CC} | {Idxr} | {cc.db} | {find} | {SysLog} | {AppLog}
------------------------------------
diff cc.db /mnt/us
Mismatches between cc.db entries and storage:

--- ccdb-entries-uudec.txt
+++ find-mnt-us.txt
@@ -1,29 +0,0 @@

[long list of kfx files omitted here]

System logs, last 500 lines
Note: attach KPPMainAppV2_25000_031-juno_160201_malbec_bellatrix-406459_crash_Nov_17_11.55.00_2023.tgz with full log to bugs!

[I had to remove lines or MR would not accept the post]

Found no developer crash logs

Found no active-content-data crash logs

You can find attached the tgz file (please remove the fake .zip extension).
This is not the first run, I ran it twice and this is the log of the second attempts.
Already in the first run I could see that even if it failed, it actually removed the python directory in main folder, but it left there the python3 directory, with about 120MB of files inside.

My question is: may I simple delete that directory and I am good to go, or is there something else I must to in order to remove the plugin?

Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #1159
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not so much as "not needed" as it's unsupported .

More helpful would have been the MRPI log, but, anyways, yeah, mostly harmless, just kill the folder.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #1160
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Sorry @NiLuJe,

I lost track of updates. Is the Battery Status extension up to date for 5.16.x? Or do you have a list of what IS and what IS NOT updated?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #1161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nothing's updated. The only possibly sane packages are the bridge, KUAL and USBNet.

EDIT: For < 5.16.3, I mean. >= 5.16.3 will require a new toolchain, new binaries and dedicated packages.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #1162
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got it, thanks!

For Battery status, what input do you need to “update” it? Like, the actual battery controller files’ locations and stuff?
Old 11-18-2023, 12:19 AM   #1163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, it's all gasgauge-info, so it'll probably mostly work automagically.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #1164
castipo
castipo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic (KT5) 5.16.2.1.1
There any python running on KT5 devices?
castipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #1165
castipo
castipo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic (KT5) 5.16.2.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviteusz View Post
For now everything works fine on KOA3 with fw 5.16.2.1.1
I also installed KOL, but update is needed for two new devices:
https://github.com/yparitcher/KUAL_B...Booklet:master

I also set the covers for KUAL and KOL with this extension:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=15

Looks nice!

so very thanks!
castipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #1166
mergen3107
Wizard

Hi @NiLuJe,

BatteryStatus works!
However, it reports most of the things 1000 times more.
Is this fixable? The code is a real awk jungle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryStatus_screenshot_2023_11_23T01_20_26+0000.png
Views:	64
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	204855  
Old 11-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #1167
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Hi @NiLuJe,

BatteryStatus works!
However, it reports most of the things 1000 times more.
Is this fixable? The code is a real awk jungle...
They've probably gone to microamps and microvolts.

The KOA2 went from F to C for temperatue (centiC actually).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:20 AM   #1168
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Like I said earlier, that's unprocessed output from `gasgauge-info`, so, technically not my bug ;o).
Old 11-23-2023, 01:22 AM   #1169
mergen3107
Wizard

Cool! Thanks) I'll just fix the units then.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:17 AM   #1170
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
It's not so much as "not needed" as it's unsupported .

More helpful would have been the MRPI log, but, anyways, yeah, mostly harmless, just kill the folder.
Thanks, will do!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje