Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2024, 08:44 PM   #121
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Kobos are so much better. Plug it in, transfer your books, unplug it... corrupted database.
Not quite right, John F. Plug it in when the database was not properly closed and get the database corrupted message. No need to transfer books or unplug it.

OTOH, since I backup the database once per day, the times that this has caused me any issues are nonexistent. If you don't backup your database, you get to sign out and sign in which does not remove sideloaded content which will be re-imported as part of the sign in.

Rather unlike my Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen. which on Saturday when I connected it to WiFi for the first time since before Christmas decided to wipe my sideloaded content. Not that it matters much since most of that sideloaded content was from books that I was formatting/editing for others but for others, it might be just a touch more important.

Another difference is that Kobo is aware of the issue and admits that it is an issue that will (hopefully) be fixed in the next firmware release. In contrast, Amazon does not seem to see wiping sideloaded content as an issue, probably since, for the most part, that involves content not purchased from Amazon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:48 PM   #122
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Kobos are so much better. Plug it in, transfer your books, unplug it... corrupted database.
Making sure you're on the home screen before connecting should be sufficient to prevent most db corruptions, for what it matters.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2024, 06:31 AM   #123
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That's an awfully strange joy.

On the topic, pretty much a lot of posts I've read indicate that the Kindle is so sideload-unfriendly (covers going missing, for example) that I wonder why anybody even uses them.
I'm guessing most Kindle users don't sideload or if they do, they use Send-to-Kindle, not USB.

I've read posts here about users not even knowing how to sideload to a Kindle.

If you play by Amazon rules, Kindles are no worse than anything else. The trouble starts when you want to do something they don't want you to do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 06:47 AM   #124
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not quite right, John F. Plug it in when the database was not properly closed and get the database corrupted message. No need to transfer books or unplug it.

OTOH, since I backup the database once per day, the times that this has caused me any issues are nonexistent. If you don't backup your database, you get to sign out and sign in which does not remove sideloaded content which will be re-imported as part of the sign in.

Rather unlike my Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen. which on Saturday when I connected it to WiFi for the first time since before Christmas decided to wipe my sideloaded content. Not that it matters much since most of that sideloaded content was from books that I was formatting/editing for others but for others, it might be just a touch more important.
To me, the point is that they both (Kobo and Kindle) have their problems. Why bring it up in a "Joy of Reading" thread?

Quote:
Another difference is that Kobo is aware of the issue and admits that it is an issue that will (hopefully) be fixed in the next firmware release. In contrast, Amazon does not seem to see wiping sideloaded content as an issue, probably since, for the most part, that involves content not purchased from Amazon.
Just curious, but how do you know that Kobo and Amazon are aware/not aware of the problems and their plans for fixing/not fixing them?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 06:50 AM   #125
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

So to me, Amazon seems to be the better choice for side loading, as I wouldn't be turning on WIFI. Those Kobos are so unjoyful.
Advert
Old 01-30-2024, 08:46 AM   #126
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
To me, the point is that they both (Kobo and Kindle) have their problems.
That's certainly true. I had very few problems with my Kindles (they were almost always offline and that was before the current issue with deleting content), whereas I've had some bugs with my Kobos. So, based on my personal experience, I'd say Kobos are buggier than Kindles. I still prefer Kobos, though (customization and Calibre integration are the main reasons). But both have given me lots of joy and delight.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:51 AM   #127
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Making sure you're on the home screen before connecting should be sufficient to prevent most db corruptions, for what it matters.
This does not work in my case. I always return to the home screen before connecting, yet I was receiving db corruption errors often. The only thing that
prevents db corruption for me is turning off the reader, then turning it back on before connecting.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:19 AM   #128
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I find this question of corruption really interesting, but that doesn't make it joy.
I've started a new thread here and I'd be very interested to learn something.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:42 AM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope. Not here with my Libra 2. I don't get a corrupted database. It just works. I make sure I go to the home screen before plugging in. No problems at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #130
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. Not here with my Libra 2. I don't get a corrupted database. It just works. I make sure I go to the home screen before plugging in. No problems at all.
See post 127.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:06 PM   #131
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
No, no, no. Everyone knows avoiding a corrupted database is as simple as:
  1. Make sure you are running not the most recent firmware, but the one from two firmwares ago.
  2. Exit any book you are reading.
  3. Power the Kobo off then on.
  4. Consult your horoscope to see if today is a good day for sideloading.
  5. Stand on your left foot while plugging the Kobo in.
  6. Sideload your books.
  7. Eject your Kobo using Calibre, but NOT using your system's eject (or is it eject using your system's eject, but not Calibre??)
  8. Pray a Rosary while the Kobo imports the sideloaded content.
I do that when I sideload and I've only had a corrupted database twice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:29 PM   #132
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
^ B F Skinner is rolling in his coffin laughing his butt off.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:30 PM   #133
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Just curious, but how do you know that Kobo and Amazon are aware/not aware of the problems and their plans for fixing/not fixing them?
Easy enough.

For Kobo, I reported the issue to Kobo and got a response back from them.

For Amazon? I made a WEG based on previous Amazon responses to reported issues. As in the issue has been reported and no response, not even the traditional "thanks for reporting this issue".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:53 PM   #134
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Easy enough.

For Kobo, I reported the issue to Kobo and got a response back from them.

For Amazon? I made a WEG based on previous Amazon responses to reported issues. As in the issue has been reported and no response, not even the traditional "thanks for reporting this issue".
Could you share Kobo's response?
Old 01-30-2024, 05:00 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
^ B F Skinner is rolling in his coffin laughing his butt off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote