Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool feature request

i quote the below post to illustrate what i mean for this requested feature to accomplish. the feature that i'd like to see is one that allows you to set (by check-box) the resulting mobi file to open at the cover (if such a feature is possible).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sorry, DiapDealer, I don't understand what you are saying. The ebooks I produce either have a Coverpage.html file which goes first in the toc.ncx file and first in the spine section of the config.opf file, or have a coverpage section as the first part of a Frontmatter.html file, which again is first in the toc.ncx and content.opf files. But the mobi ebooks still don't open at the cover.

Could you give me a little more detail please about how to make a mobi format book open at the cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
I'm terrible at describing the process, so I'll just attach a sample of what I mean. The sample is a snippet from a public domain work (the words and the art), so there's no copyright infringement going on.

The sample is a Sigil built epub. If you just drag & drop it onto the Kindle Previewer's main window (or feed it to kindlegen and load it into K4PC or on a Kindle) you'll see how the MOBI opens to the cover art (terrible as it is!). It will also go to the cover when selecting "Go To->Beginning".

If you use calibre to convert it to mobi, you'll need to tweak the reference in the guide section of the opf (before converting) to get it to open at the proper point.

Change the following reference:

Code:

<reference type="text" title="Text" href="Text/coverimage.xhtml"/>

to:

Code:

<reference type="start" title="Start Here" href="Text/coverimage.xhtml"/>

Hope that helps!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBI files cannot open at the cover. You can give the illusion of them opening at the cover by inserting the cover as a normal image at the start of the book.

This is a rather ugly hack as it means the same image is present twice in the MOBI file and not one I am going to add support for in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
MOBI files cannot open at the cover. You can give the illusion of them opening at the cover by inserting the cover as a normal image at the start of the book.

This is a rather ugly hack as it means the same image is present twice in the MOBI file and not one I am going to add support for in calibre.
gotcha', i thought that diapdealer was saying something different and wanted to share it. if i was reading it (his post) incorrectly then i apologize.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I can tell, (s)he isn't saying anything different.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote