Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PageEdit-0.9.6 Released

PageEdit-0.9.6

PageEdit-0.9.6 is primarily a bug-fix release.

New Features
  • an installer for the Windows platform

Bug Fixes
  • properly handle javascript location.href style links
  • try to prevent crashes when files deleted out from under PageEdit
  • fix the longest common path routine to actually work
  • remove the load text filter as it was not supported
  • set default paragraph separator to 'p' not 'div' when editing

The binary downloads (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you.

Maybe worth mentioning that the Windows installer puts it in the Program Files folder, which may not be be where your earlier version was (and still will be), and may not be where your Sigil has been told to look for its preferred external editor.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Maybe worth mentioning that the Windows installer puts it in the Program Files folder, which may not be be where your earlier version was (and still will be), and may not be where your Sigil has been told to look for its preferred external editor.
Valid point. But the installer will also let you change the install location to wherever you put your earlier version (and where your Sigil has been told to look for its preferred external editor) if you so desire. The payload is the same bundle of files as before.

Note that the installer makes no registry changes (except for what the OS uses internally for the Add/Remove program feature), nor associates itself with any file types. And you can even opt out of adding any entries to the Start Menu, or adding a Desktop shortcut if you're so inclined.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know it's against your religion :-) But wouldn't integrating it with Sigil actually be rather a good idea? Like Sibelius comes with 'shipping plugins'. They still ARE seperate plugins, but everyone gets them and they're automatically in the menu.

One of the loveable traits of Daniel Spreadbury, the Sibelius guru, was to steadfastly reply to a request with 'No, we have absolutely no plans to do that!' ... and then quietly do it in the next release.

OK, I'll get my coat...

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 11-12-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know it's against your religion :-) But wouldn't integrating it with Sigil actually be rather a good idea?
If you already know my opinion, then why on earth would you ask? The answer is: no. I think integrating PageEdit with Sigil is a horrible idea (for many reasons), and it's never going to happen in my tenure. The End.
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru

Sure, leave the architecture as it is. But I'll have one more go at suggesting you fully integrate the installation. It's not like anyone's going to use any OTHER external editor! Or, if someone wants to, require HIM to change the Preference.

PE proved very useful yesterday. I OCRd an entire book, used the 'copy to clipboard' function in the OCR program and pasted it into Sigil in one go! Nice clean code, paragraph breaks survived... Thank you!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But I'll have one more go at suggesting you fully integrate the installation.
Have twenty more goes if you like. But my final "No" will have to suffice for them. I can't be any clearer and I have better things to do than repeating myself over and over. Please get it clear out of your head that I will be persuaded with time.

Quote:
It's not like anyone's going to use any OTHER external editor!
You're all wet, there I'm afraid. There are plenty of people who prefer to use their favorite full-featured html editor in favor of Sigil's basic Code View editor. But keep pretending you have your finger on the pulse of how everyone else uses Sigil. It's amusing at least. I'm done here.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
exaltedwombat
Guru

You can't tell when someone's paying you a compliment, can you? :-)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can't tell when someone's paying you a compliment, can you? :-)
Sure I can. The last paragraph's flattery just wasn't enough to overcome the first one's annoying dead-horse-flogging. I'm not that easily to manipulate.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru

You did miss the compliment. 'No-one would want to use any OTHER....'. :-)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... It's not like anyone's going to use any OTHER external editor!
I have my external editor set to BBEdit and am grateful not to have the choice made for me, thank you very much DiapDealer and KevinH.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
PageEdit: How good is it?

I've read posts about installing PageEdit, and external versus internal, or making it a Plug-In, etc. The important questions to me are: how well does it work in comparison to Book View and what extra features does it have?

As far as Book View bugginess* goes, I've written eight novels in Sigil. I spend most of the time writing in Book View, because I do not wish to interrupt the flow of writing by typing <p> and <i> every ten seconds. I have used Sigil since version 0.7, and I never had significant problems with Book View. I've had problems with Sigil in general, but they mostly were about saving and Check EPUB. Without Book View or something equivalent, there is little to recommend Sigil. BBEdit has much better tools for writing HTML, and assembling HTML chapters into an ePub is easy.

*Macintosh versions. Your mileage may vary.
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Why on earth don't you use a real writer's tool like Word, or Libre/OpenOffice or Google Docs or some other software word processing suite. If you set a few key styles at the start and use them all along use their associated grammar and other linguistic support tools you must certainly be more productive than using Sigil in BookView.

And there are many tools that can import the xml or html generated from these word processing programs which can be then be cleaned up in Sigil or Calibre.

PageEdit is not meant to be a word processing program either. It is meant more for proofing and minor edits.

So either stick with an older version of Sigil or use BBEdit then if it is more to your liking.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrault View Post
I've read posts about installing PageEdit, and external versus internal, or making it a Plug-In, etc. The important questions to me are: how well does it work in comparison to Book View and what extra features does it have?

As far as Book View bugginess* goes, I've written eight novels in Sigil. I spend most of the time writing in Book View, because I do not wish to interrupt the flow of writing by typing <p> and <i> every ten seconds. I have used Sigil since version 0.7, and I never had significant problems with Book View. I've had problems with Sigil in general, but they mostly were about saving and Check EPUB. Without Book View or something equivalent, there is little to recommend Sigil. BBEdit has much better tools for writing HTML, and assembling HTML chapters into an ePub is easy.

*Macintosh versions. Your mileage may vary.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Why on earth don't you use a real writer's tool like Word, or Libre/OpenOffice or Google Docs or some other software word processing suite. If you set a few key styles at the start and use them all along use their associated grammar and other linguistic support tools you must certainly be more productive than using Sigil in BookView.

And there are many tools that can import the xml or html generated from these word processing programs which can be then be cleaned up in Sigil or Calibre.

PageEdit is not meant to be a word processing program either. It is meant more for proofing and minor edits.

So either stick with an older version of Sigil or use BBEdit then if it is more to your liking.

KevinH
Or the free and incredibly full-featured YWriter? I mean, hey...people don't appreciate it because it's not "pretty" like Scrivener, but mother of God, it does EVERYTHING Scrivener does and then some and again, free, Free, FREE.

I have every writing program (seriously) known to mankind, from word processors (LO, OO, Word, Wordperfect, Atlantis, amongst the front-runners) and all the "writing programs" (Scrivener, YWriter, Dramatica Pro, LSB XE, Novel Factory, Power Structure, Truby's program and so on) and serious as a heart attack, I'll put Ywriter against ANY of them. It's got absolutely everything you could ever want; it's easy to not use the things you don't want and it has features that NOTHING else has (like automatic character timelining, so that you don't put old Mary Sue in two places at once!). And, yup, you can export to ePUB.

And, did I say, FREE?

(Honestly, it's a damned shame that people are taken in by the "pretty." It is. LSB XE was one of those--looked GREAT. Was flexible, yes, if you could parse the structure and use the features. Lots of people were impressed enough with the "pretty" to buy it--but it's nothing compared to YWriter. It's sooo stupid.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

As much as I'm partial to Sigil and PageEdit. I simply can't imagine why anyone would want to use them for authoring tools. They have to be the worlds worst tool's as far as general word processing goes.