Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Pottermore to relaunch

From THE BOOKSELLER:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/po...elaunch-312036

Quote:

Jurevics said the changes had been driven by identifying the core users of the site, how technology had developed since its original launch (in April 2012), and the need to reflect that the Harry Potter universe is no longer confined to the original seven books. A stage play is currently under development, and the first of three new films, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, is to be released next year.

Jurevics said Pottermore also needed to give author J K Rowling a more accessible platform on which to showcase her new writing about the world. The relaunched site will feature a new logo, written in Rowling’s own handwriting (pictured).

Jurevics told The Bookseller: “When Pottermore first started, it was positioned for the next generation of readers, and that next generation was almost by default tagged to be children. So the current site gamified the content, making it very simplistic in terms of collecting things and casting spells. That was appropriate for children, but that wasn’t actually the core audience.” Jurevics said that the user base was “overwhelmingly young adult and female”, something she discovered “pretty quickly” once she joined the firm in October 2013 from Sony, where she was senior vice-president, responsible for the company’s marketing.

The relaunch also reflected technological advancements in the way users now access content sites, Jurevics said: “From a technology point of view, when Pottermore was designed and conceived the iPad had not yet been launched, and the population didn’t yet sleep with their phones on. The current Pottermore is really a laptop or desktop experience and that type of usage is going away.”The new site will be smartphone-first to reflect this “fundamental change in user behaviour”, with content designed for touchscreens and swiping.
More at the source.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-11-2015 at 04:08 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Please tell me that your user name is something you pick that makes sense. I never log in because I cannot remember my freaking user name since it assigned something ridiculous
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The the link to this article was left out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-11-2015 at 03:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The the link to this article was left out.
oopsie. I accidentally cut-n-pasted with invisible ink.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
"Pottermore to relaunch"

Did it sink the first time?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
"Pottermore to relaunch"

Did it sink the first time?
To an extent.
It launched to great fanfare and high initial traffic but that dropped steadily and it has more recently been loitering at lower traffic levels than other content sites.

As the article cites, the focus on younger readers and game-like features was ill-conceived as the core audience has been people who grew up with the Potter books, not their younger siblings or children.

Recasting it as a more conventional author site will probably serve Rowling's fan base better.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
This must explain why the Deathly Hallows part of the site seemed so thin.
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
To an extent.
It launched to great fanfare and high initial traffic but that dropped steadily and it has more recently been loitering at lower traffic levels than other content sites.

As the article cites, the focus on younger readers and game-like features was ill-conceived as the core audience has been people who grew up with the Potter books, not their younger siblings or children.

Recasting it as a more conventional author site will probably serve Rowling's fan base better.
Yep. Went to the B&N for the release of the last four Harry Potter books. There were a lot more older teens and young adults than kids there, many of whom were dressed up as their favorite wizard or witch. The most active part of the Potter fanbase was always older.

While the Harry Potter books were being written, there was a very robust fan base that was active on the various fan web boards. I would assume that she's trying to capture some of that feeling, especially if, as rumors say, she's writing new stories in the Potter universe.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
To an extent it is a generation X problem, or baby boomers. The young kids that got hooked early on are mostly now older teens or adults now. But that is only part of the core fanbase. Another (probably much bigger) part is adults that got hooked to the series. They are still adults now. Pottermore needs to be attractive to adults - and to keep them coming back to Pottermore it needs to stop being an endless repetitive hidden object game that you need to play to unlock the content.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I started reading "Sorcerer's Stone" when it was released in the U.S. - I was probably about 40. We listened to the recorded book when my son was old enough to understand it, and that kicked off a love of reading for him (but we always listened to the wonderful recordings too!) As an adult, I enjoyed the whole series, and have re-read them as e-books. I would say these books have a broad appeal, and are not just children or young adult books.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
I would say these books have a broad appeal, and are not just children or young adult books.
And that's precisely the problem: the books do indeed appeal to a broad demographic, but the Pottermore site was aimed at young children. I looked at it briefly, but it held no interest to me as an adult.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The site was so focused on little kids that the registration process did not allow people to choose their own handles. It was more then a bit ridiculous. I am looking forward to seeing the new site and hope that it works better.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I started reading the Potter books when I was in my 50s... and I still enjoy reading them over and over. I get more out of them each time. Pottermore was completely boring to me. It sounded good when it started but once inside... meh. I may check out the new site, but probably won't bother.

As an aside, has anyone else read G. Norman Lippert's James Potter series. It was quite good. Not Rowling, but definitely worth the time, I think.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am enjoying the new site. It is far easier to navigate and I can more easily find the articles of interest.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

The original site was worthless. After it first opened, I tried to buy a book but was never able to complete the process. I finally gave up and promptly forgot my login and password. I figure if she is too cheap to sell her books through other stores then to heck with it. Plenty of other stuff to read!