Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Help needed for friends Kobo

Down in Mexico and a friend who is not very good at computers and such has a Kobo Touch that he bought last year.

This thing as far as I am concerned is pretty useless compared to my old Sony and my wife's Kindle. I use a Nook colour.

Here is the problem. Everything is slow loading, page turns, menus.

He had an sd card on it with hundreds of books someone gave him. I assume drm stripped.

First thing I did was get him to lose the sd card and then I went in on my computer and just loaded a few books for him. That didn't solve the problem.

Looking for suggestions to get him through the winter here then he can go back to Chapters and try to return it (good luck to him there)

Not sure what the firmware is or how to find it.

Wifi not working here in Mexico so I have put it on airplane.

Have reset it from the back several times. Is their a correct way to do this? I simply started it reset then turned it off and on.

If it might help I would install new firmware. Can someone point me to the location for latest. A quick read of some posts indicate that you need to update desktop and maybe re register. I don't even no if he ever registered it (he doesn't know). If it has to be re registered can it be done if wifi not available.

Any help would be appreciated
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Registration and Setup / Update do NOT require WiFi; as long as you have internet access (which you seem to have as you have posted), you can just use an USB cable to connect the Touch to your PC.

You can download Desktop from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop

You can also tell if he has registered the Kobo (which IS required to get the unit to the point where it will accept books) by going through the SETTINGS menus on the unit and getting to the ACCOUNT page. There it will show what account has been associated with the unit by the setup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
ignore

Last edited by robko; 01-08-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Misread original post
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Registration and Setup / Update do NOT require WiFi; as long as you have internet access (which you seem to have as you have posted), you can just use an USB cable to connect the Touch to your PC.

You can download Desktop from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop

You can also tell if he has registered the Kobo (which IS required to get the unit to the point where it will accept books) by going through the SETTINGS menus on the unit and getting to the ACCOUNT page. There it will show what account has been associated with the unit by the setup.

Will the latest firmware release do anything to fix the slow Kobo or is that just how it is. This one is certainly slower than any I saw in the store which had seemed to be much improved from the original.

How do I get the latest firmware? Don't see any download or update area on Chapters/Indigo site or do you put on the desktop mentioned and that takes you to where you need to update once you are connected to your computer?

If all he wants to do is sideload books from his computer can that be done easily with the Kobo and after the desktop update is installed.

Does the desktop offer anything for someone who doesn't go to the store to buy books.

Last edited by goldberry; 01-08-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The firmware gets installed via the Desktop, or via WiFi when you do a Sync operation.

When the Touch is connected via USB and the Desktop is luanched, the update will be downloaded to the Touch.

One thing I have just found is that if the Kobo is too hot (mine had been sitting on a table next to a window on a sunny day), the page turns become very slow. I was informed by reliable sources that
Quote:
The temperature of the display affects the waveform that the eInk display uses to render text. If you had it out in the peak summer heat you would have seen similar behaviour.
I wonder if this might be affecting you in Mexico?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
goldberry
Groupie

No it didn't work properly out of the sun. Hasn't worked well enough to even use. Its paperback or nothing at present for him.