Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 04:50 AM   #1
19tracks
19tracks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Question How to stop my Aura 2 from finding "books" in hidden directories?

My device didn't use to look for books in hidden directories. At some point, I'm not sure when, there seems to have been an update that changed that behavior... It could have been any time in the last couple of years, because I had wi-fi turned off for a very long time before turning it on again and getting a recent version of the firmware. It's a big problem, because I have an add-on in my .adds directory that includes a lot of thumbnails, which now dominate my library.

I tried doing a search, but it's sort of difficult to search for. Does anyone know when this change happened or if there's a workaround?
19tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19tracks View Post
My device didn't use to look for books in hidden directories. At some point, I'm not sure when, there seems to have been an update that changed that behavior... It could have been any time in the last couple of years, because I had wi-fi turned off for a very long time before turning it on again and getting a recent version of the firmware. It's a big problem, because I have an add-on in my .adds directory that includes a lot of thumbnails, which now dominate my library.

I tried doing a search, but it's sort of difficult to search for. Does anyone know when this change happened or if there's a workaround?
The first thing to do is make a backup of all of your .directories as once you sort this out, the content will be deleted. The next thing to do is read the following thread completely as it gives two solutions and you need to read to find both of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
19tracks
19tracks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you! So to be clear, if I want to avoid using LD_PRELOAD, I have to put the following in '.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf':

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?
This is an escaped partial regular expression that will lead to hidden files and directories directly within onboard and their contents being excluded from indexing, with the exception of those whose names begin with "kobo" or "adobe." When the files are removed from the index, they'll be deleted, which is why I have to back up the contents of these directories.
19tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19tracks View Post
Thank you! So to be clear, if I want to avoid using LD_PRELOAD, I have to put the following in '.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf':

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?
This is an escaped partial regular expression that will lead to hidden files and directories directly within onboard and their contents being excluded from indexing, with the exception of those whose names begin with "kobo" or "adobe." When the files are removed from the index, they'll be deleted, which is why I have to back up the contents of these directories.
Yes, you do have it correct. Well done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote