Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Questions for owners of Libra 2

I'm a Kindle user (Paper White 2) who's thinking of switching to a Libra 2. I have a few questions for any owners of the Libra 2:

1. Can it play standard mp3 audiobooks or only Kobo audiobooks? I've found conflicting reports. Not a major deal as I'll probably still just listen via my phone.

2. Does it have TTS? I'd love to find an ereader that can read my ebooks to me.

Thanks for any answers!

Last edited by just_jeepin; 04-09-2022 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Edited title for clarity
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No TTS

Official support only for audio from Kobo store. Some have tried side loaded audio but the experience has not been that great

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
As Peter said no TTS, and while I’ve not tried it there is some support for sideloaded audiobooks, though you won’t get the same experience as with Kobos own audiobooks. And unlike sideloaded ebooks the features missing have a pretty good chance of being something you will miss.

See here for more info on audiobooks and sideloading: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342747

Note that Kobo has never officially stated this is supported. It just works as is right now. And while most things that just work either continue to work or get improved upon there is a chance it’ll stop working in some future firmware.

Last edited by MGlitch; 04-09-2022 at 07:03 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both. I may go with an Onyx Boox Poke 3 instead as it supports TTS and basically anything because of running Android.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:12 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Thank you both. I may go with an Onyx Boox Poke 3 instead as it supports TTS and basically anything because of running Android.
Some of the PocketBooks also support TTS and Audio books, including (but not limited to) the Touch HD 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
just_jeepin
Addict

I'm still trying to decide between the Kobo Libra 2 and Onyx Poke 3.

One final question... I like to use an e-reader without a case. If you push the page turn buttons does it wake up the Kobo? If so that's definitely a no-go for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only the power button will wake the Libra 2, easy for a human to do, but probably not going to be accidentally pushed in a bag. Unless you have small items like pens or pencils etc and they’re all in a large bag like a backpack. In a pocket or a messenger bag I would imagine you wouldn’t have any issues.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though something with a magnet sliding past can wake any Kobo or any gadget that has a magnet operated sleep cover.

The Sage can wake or sleep other things due to strong built it magnets on rear near button side. I'm temped to open it and remove them as that's also a menace to pick up things. Seems a stupid idea for the power cover, as are the four metal pads.

I've an original Libra, so I've only read about differences to the Libra 2.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard

Of course that can be prevented by disabling the automatically sleep and wake up setting in energy settings.

The magnets are of course still magnetic but they won’t turn on the kobo.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Of course that can be prevented by disabling the automatically sleep and wake up setting in energy settings.

The magnets are of course still magnetic but they won’t turn on the kobo.
If sleep cover is disabled, then random magnets won't wake it. However If sleep cover mode is on then a magnet can wake it as it moves away.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If sleep cover is disabled, then random magnets won't wake it. However If sleep cover mode is on then a magnet can wake it as it moves away.
Yes, but as the OP has indicated they aren’t going to use a case there’s no reason for them to have the setting enabled. Unless they walk around with something magnetic they like to use to wake such devices rather than just using the power button.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:08 PM   #12
just_jeepin
Addict

Quote:
Yes, but as the OP has indicated they aren’t going to use a case there’s no reason for them to have the setting enabled. Unless they walk around with something magnetic they like to use to wake such devices rather than just using the power button.
If I have sleep cover mode disabled because of not needing it (no cover) can I still have the sleep screen show the current books cover? I'm thinking those are two different things.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:35 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
If I have sleep cover mode disabled because of not needing it (no cover) can I still have the sleep screen show the current books cover? I'm thinking those are two different things.

Yes, you can have the sleep screen display the book cover, a screensaver image of your own choosing (you do have to make a folder on the kobo and put the image in it), or a screen with device status (sleeping, off) and maybe some other things I’ve forgotten as I don’t use this third option, regardless of sleep cover modes being enabled or disabled. Sleep cover mode only affects the device going to sleep or waking up depending on if the cover is closed or open.

You can actually have the book cover displayed when using a sleep cover and the mode enabled though you’ll only see it for a brief moment when opening the cover. And just to cover all bases you can use a sleep cover and disable the sleep cover mode, you’d see the book cover or whatever you set as the sleep screen until you hit the power button.

Note that for the Sage the covers don’t have a cut out for the power button, so not having the mode enabled for this specific device with an official cover would require you to take it out of the case. This is not hard due to how the Sage connects to the official sleep cover and the power cover, but it’s an extra step.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I would strongly recommend using a case, even if it's just a sleeve, to keep your screen protected. Don't bother with Kobo's expensive cases. I bought mine from Amazon for about £15 and hardly notice it while I'm reading: just bend it back and hold the reader with one hand. The case doesn't add any noticeable weight.

If you really don't want a case, I strongly recommend a sturdy sleeve.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Only the power button will wake the Libra 2, easy for a human to do, but probably not going to be accidentally pushed in a bag. Unless you have small items like pens or pencils etc and they’re all in a large bag like a backpack. In a pocket or a messenger bag I would imagine you wouldn’t have any issues.
But why would you have any Reader in a bag without a case? That's a good way to either break the screen or scratch the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote