Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2024, 01:12 PM   #121
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
...a house fire that started with a battery for a pair of socks being charged!
I'd never wear socks again!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:18 PM   #122
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
You want a real winner? Try a house fire that started with a battery for a pair of socks being charged! Battery exploded next to a couch and curtains; house and all contents destroyed.

Now that's a way to get rid of physical books and everything else!

Water pipes, Sewer pipes; all rookies!
I bow my head before a master.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 01:21 PM   #123
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshane View Post
Sometimes, the tactile experience and novelty of holding a physical book can offer a refreshing change.
My better half has been going through a kick like that lately. Raiding our bookshelves for paper versions of books already on our Kobos. I just don't get it.

Yes, the the tactile experience and nostalgia and novelty you mentioned are real things. But the first time I tried to read in bed and had to shift the book so the shadow from the binding didn't block the text, all that nostalgia would go out the window.

I used to think I admired books both for their contents and for their physical properties. But I have noticed that now, when I go to a bookstore and browse, I have zero desire to purchase a physical book. If I do find something interesting on the shelves, I immediately look it up on Kobo or (more likely) add it to ereaderIQ.

There is a novelty of seeing books I have only seen online 'in the wild'. But aside from the 'hey, look at that!' factor, I'm happy to glance at it and walk past.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:34 PM   #124
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I still retain a vestige of "book lust".
But the book had better be at least folio size and 12 color.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:11 PM   #125
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My water heater was in my storage room. I had books up on shelves. The water heater sprang a leak. The leak was in the side and the water was spraying up onto my books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 02:58 PM   #126
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
You want a real winner? Try a house fire that started with a battery for a pair of socks being charged! Battery exploded next to a couch and curtains; house and all contents destroyed.

Now that's a way to get rid of physical books and everything else!

Water pipes, Sewer pipes; all rookies!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
I want to know about the socks that were being charged...

I mean, I used to shuffle around my grandmother's house in wool socks to build up some static and shock my brother, but never anything where I felt the need to have a battery for them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:19 PM   #127
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As a Christmas present, friends gave me both a pair of gloves that had a small LiOn battery in each glove and a pair of socks that also had a small battery in each.

The idea was to have warm hands and feet while winter walking.

Unfortunately many years worth of heat escaped in one swell swoop from the socks!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:47 PM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
After two fires (one on a balcony, one in the entrance hallway of one unit), the condos my daughter lives in now requires e-bikes/scooters to be stored in a special area. They had a covered pen with a roof built outside the main buildings so any fires will not affect the main buildings.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:13 AM   #129
abdulhadi
abdulhadi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Only picture-heavy books, e.g. art, architecture, cookbooks, etc. One such book I recently bought is The Food Lab by Kenji Alt-Lopez. Definitely worth having a physical copy in the kitchen!
ok let me check ,
abdulhadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #130
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Sometimes a change of pace can really rekindle the reading spark. And those editions sound really cool, especially Lovecraft's Complete Fiction!
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:48 PM   #131
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Cookery and baking books still need to be physical editions for me... can't be doing with the distraction of a gadget in the kitchen unless it's playing music or a podcast from afar.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:34 AM   #132
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Last month, I bought an actual, physical book, as it isn't available in digital form. Alas! The font is quite small and quite unchangeable. It's so very easy to become spoiled by epubs.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:49 PM   #133
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I buy sprayed edges. I got a Fate Inked in blood beautiful blue foil edges and Children of Blood and Bone with red print edges
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:54 PM   #134
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
Sometimes a change of pace can really rekindle the reading spark. And those editions sound really cool, especially Lovecraft's Complete Fiction!

I have that. Its like over 1000 pages with a silver foil edge
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:23 PM   #135
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i bought another new hardback a James Patterson book
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote