Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #1186
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Did you answer my question? Is sed included in busybox?
Yes, sed is included in BusyBox, and no, I'm not going to do your work for you.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #1187
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, sed is included in BusyBox, and no, I'm not going to do your work for you.
Thank you for verifying that sed is available.

Not going to the work for me, or don't know how?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 05:35 PM   #1188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you for verifying that sed is available.

The problem is that once you've modified the Kobo config is getting the config read again without rebooting.

I don't know if this would work. Connect the Kobo to the USB port and then disconnect. I cannot say if that would reread the config file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:28 PM   #1189
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that once you've modified the Kobo config is getting the config read again without rebooting.

I don't know if this would work. Connect the Kobo to the USB port and then disconnect. I cannot say if that would reread the config file.
If you will provide me with the sed command for Nicklemenu, I will test your theory.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:58 PM   #1190
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both! I've had the misfortune of using sed in the past, and it would require significant research to come up with the correct incantation, as most of the Unix tools from the 70s were devised by crazy people, and I try to immerse myself in the madness as infrequently as possible.
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #1191
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not to mention that sed's regex is esoteric even by regex standards.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #1192
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Both! I've had the misfortune of using sed in the past [...] as most of the Unix tools from the 70s were devised by crazy people
I must be crazy enough, because I think this would be easy, and sed regex isn't that different, it's just a subset with random magic escaped differently.

However, I think it is pointless, as changing the config file won't change the light level, and there's an IOCTL that will, so why bother modifying the config file at all?

Last edited by compurandom; 11-28-2023 at 09:36 PM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:54 AM   #1193
Aleron Ives
Wizard

As somebody else already pointed out, if you don't commit the change to the config file, the light level will reset after waking from sleep, because sysfs/ioctl don't update the config.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:08 AM   #1194
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As somebody else already pointed out, if you don't commit the change to the config file, the light level will reset after waking from sleep, because sysfs/ioctl don't update the config.
Which to me is perfect. If I don't turn off the light, it will go off when I next wake my Libra 2.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #1195
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I believe using sed would work, with a caveat.

I used a cp command to test the light level. Waking from sleep, it went back to the old light value. using cp followed by a rescan_books_full worked (the light level was right waking from sleep). The rescan caused a delay , maybe 3 seconds.

So I have the choice, for my use case, of having a couple second delay when I change night/day reading mode, or having to do 2 taps when waking from sleep. I decided to the use the latter.

Thank you everyone for the help.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #1196
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
I believe using sed would work, with a caveat.

I used a cp command to test the light level. Waking from sleep, it went back to the old light value. using cp followed by a rescan_books_full worked (the light level was right waking from sleep). The rescan caused a delay , maybe 3 seconds.

So I have the choice, for my use case, of having a couple second delay when I change night/day reading mode, or having to do 2 taps when waking from sleep. I decided to the use the latter.

Thank you everyone for the help.
Maybe Kobo will someday add an on/off switch to the frontlight settings while maintaining a percentage, or, what’s fantastic, several user profiles for frontlight or tap zones for on/off for frontlight like at CoolReader for PocketBook (for Kobo with FL not trying this).
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:48 AM   #1197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
Maybe Kobo will someday add an on/off switch to the frontlight settings while maintaining a percentage, or, what’s fantastic, several user profiles for frontlight or tap zones for on/off for frontlight like at CoolReader for PocketBook (for Kobo with FL not trying this).
Coolreader ack no!

For now, NickeMmenu will work for the light setting.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #1198
Duke5127
Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Is there any way to open a book in KOReader from the Nickel Library View using NickelMenu?
Duke5127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #1199
Frank
Frank began at the beginning.

Device: Kono Libra 2
Request: sort books by filename

First of all; thank you for all your efforts. Keep up the good work. It is really appreciated.

I have a request. Perhaps I've missed it, but would it be possible to add a feature that Kobo sorts books by filename (not by book title or metadata, but just plain old filename)?

Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #1200
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not really doable since Kobo uses the metadata (book title, series, collection, data added, etc.) to sort. Filenames are so 1980's.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel