Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 06:18 PM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Sage can't really take very high levels of frontlight, it will drain quickly. That was shown by some reviewers when the Sage was first released. With the frontlight at 100% the battery was dead in an hour, and that with a brand-new device.

That's why I don't use my Sage in daylight. At night, in a dimly lit room, with frontlight at a low level, it will last several days, with 2-3 hours of reading per day.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-24-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:33 PM   #107
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't use my Sage front light at all unless there is a power cut or I'm visiting somewhere dim (very rare). Same was/is true on all my other readers with the option (PW3, Oasis 2, Libra, Libra 2, Elipsa). If there is enough light to read an old paperback book, then the eink is fine.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 06:49 PM   #108
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't use my Sage front light at all unless there is a power cut or I'm visiting somewhere dim (very rare). Same was/is true on all my other readers with the option (PW3, Oasis 2, Libra, Libra 2, Elipsa). If there is enough light to read an old paperback book, then the eink is fine.
I can't stand a grey screen. It must be white or whitish. So when reading in daylight (indoors and not in full sunlight), I crank the frontlight up. Mostly I read at night in a dimly lit room, though. Then a low level of frontlight is sufficient.

Edit: yeah, I hated old yellow paperbacks too.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-24-2023 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:34 AM   #109
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I can't stand a grey screen. It must be white or whitish. So when reading in daylight (indoors and not in full sunlight), I crank the frontlight up. Mostly I read at night in a dimly lit room, though. Then a low level of frontlight is sufficient.

Edit: yeah, I hated old yellow paperbacks too.
I always have the front light on. Ambient room light just isn't that pleasing to my eye. 30% front light with some ambient light, and 10% at night with dark mode (little ambient light). I just charged my Kobo Clara 2E and it was down to 33% after 19 days, reading 2-4 hours a day typically.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:11 AM   #110
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I always have the front light on. Ambient room light just isn't that pleasing to my eye. 30% front light with some ambient light, and 10% at night with dark mode (little ambient light). I just charged my Kobo Clara 2E and it was down to 33% after 19 days, reading 2-4 hours a day typically.
That's some really good battery life there.

As a 6" device without buttons is not something I want to read on, I'm willing to put up with worse battery life than that. Still, there's no doubt Kobo messed up with the Sage; its battery could have been better without increasing the overall weight. It's really badly optimized IMO.
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 08:20 AM   #111
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That's some really good battery life there.

As a 6" device without buttons is not something I want to read on, I'm willing to put up with worse battery life than that. Still, there's no doubt Kobo messed up with the Sage; its battery could have been better without increasing the overall weight. It's really badly optimized IMO.
So far, buttons on ereaders don't really matter to me. Whenever I try them, they seem hard to press, in the wrong place, ... I very seldom used them on my Forma, Nook, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:04 PM   #112
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thoughts on why the Sage battery is so bad?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #113
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Because of MBAs. Someone decided someplace that they could save a penny or two.

Sorry, my cynicism is breaking out. It's just that I see this happening over and over again. Some small cost saving measure with only "minor" negatives. But, then they repeat the process continuously until we're left with a product that's no good at what it's designed for (not saying that's yet the case with the Sage).
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #114
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've read it has something to do with the processor, but I'm no techie and most of it was pretty incomprehensible to me.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #115
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
What's the usual time between a first FCC heads up and a release announcement?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:01 PM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Very likely that the Sage has a 1.8GHz quad-core processor compared to the 1GHz single core processor used by Kobo's previous ereaders but did not get a larger battery to support that hardware. The Sage has the same 1,200mAH battery used by the Forma. By comparison, the Elipsa dropped back to a dual-core processor for the 2E release but kept a 2,400mAH battery. The Libra 2 has a single core processor and a 1,500mAH battery.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've read it has something to do with the processor, but I'm no techie and most of it was pretty incomprehensible to me.
Kobo could have put in a much stronger battery. That would have solved the problem. Instead in order to save money, Kobo put in a stupidly weak battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:58 AM   #118
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo could have put in a much stronger battery. That would have solved the problem. Instead in order to save money, Kobo put in a stupidly weak battery.
And then Tolino were dumb enough to order the same chipset, put it in a Libra 2 shell, rebranded it to "Tolino Vision 6", put their android software on it, and thought it was a great idea.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:29 AM   #119
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They mysteriously wanted to sell "power covers".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:46 PM   #120
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
All of the above is why I'd love it if this new device, whenever it comes, turned out to be a new 8-inch with a better battery. Nice and simple.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-28-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote