Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #1171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you want to change the setting in the config file without changing the physical light level as well? I suppose you could launch vi and use that to edit the file using a NickelMenu entry but not sure if that could work since NM seems to launch a background process and I don't think Kobo pre-installs fg or equivalent.
Do you think a reboot would be needed if the config was edited for the light level? Or is there another way to get the config reread without a reboot?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:58 PM   #1172
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would you want to change the setting in the config file without changing the physical light level as well? I suppose you could launch vi and use that to edit the file using a NickelMenu entry but not sure if that could work since NM seems to launch a background process and I don't think Kobo pre-installs fg or equivalent.
I am changing the physical light level using NickelMenu.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #1173
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And just to be clear, I don't want to launch vi and then have to type something in; I just want to to be able to set the current light level in the Kobo config file, without typing in a value.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:08 PM   #1174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And just to be clear, I don't want to launch vi and then have to type something in; I just want to to be able to set the current light level in the Kobo config file, without typing in a value.
Lets say you can do that, how would you get the Kobo to reread the config other then rebooting?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #1175
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You could edit the config file, but you can also adjust the frontlight with sysfs and uh... ioctl I think? It doesn't make much sense to do any of those things, since the number of taps would be about the same as just using Nickel's existing frontlight sliders.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #1176
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You could edit the config file, ...
Could you give 5he necessary entries for Nicklemenu to edit the config file. P&T.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:33 PM   #1177
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm roughly 85.42% sure that modifying the config file behind Nickel's back *while* Nickel is running will not, in fact, achieve anything (it's holding the serialized state in memory, the config file is just there for persistence).

In any case, if you feel like wasting a bit of time, the key is called `FrontLightLevel` (assuming the frontlight was actually *touched* in the UI at one point, I seem to recall the key being absent on stock & untouched installs), so bit of sed trickery should do it. Unlike warmth, the scale is obvious (0-100).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:08 PM   #1178
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm roughly 85.42% sure that modifying the config file behind Nickel's back *while* Nickel is running will not, in fact, achieve anything (it's holding the serialized state in memory, the config file is just there for persistence).

In any case, if you feel like wasting a bit of time, the key is called `FrontLightLevel` (assuming the frontlight was actually *touched* in the UI at one point, I seem to recall the key being absent on stock & untouched installs), so bit of sed trickery should do it. Unlike warmth, the scale is obvious (0-100).
So sed could be used through Nickelmenu?
Old 11-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #1179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You could edit the config file, but you can also adjust the frontlight with sysfs and uh... ioctl I think? It doesn't make much sense to do any of those things, since the number of taps would be about the same as just using Nickel's existing frontlight sliders.
It makes sense as it's not easy to adjust the light to get the exact number.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #1180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Do you know if we can use decimal point to get a light level between two whole numbers?
Old 11-27-2023, 12:37 AM   #1181
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
Because if you read at night without external lighting, then you have found the optimal frontlight level for yourself - for example, 12% and dark mode. This can be done in the NM - turn it on and off. Using the slider to set exactly 12% every time is inconvenient. But, unlike the slider, when frontlight level is set in NM, the set values are not saved after the reader sleep and wake up. If you use the slider, they are saved.
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:05 AM   #1182
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So sed could be used through Nickelmenu?
You can execute any arbitrary command through NickelMenu's cmd_output and cmd_spawn, including shell scripts that you write and put in /mnt/onboard/.adds/. You're just limited to commands included in BusyBox, since Kobo doesn't run a full-scale Linux distro.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:51 AM   #1183
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can execute any arbitrary command through NickelMenu's cmd_output and cmd_spawn, including shell scripts that you write and put in /mnt/onboard/.adds/. You're just limited to commands included in BusyBox, since Kobo doesn't run a full-scale Linux distro.
Did you answer my question? Is sed included in busybox?

If I wrote a program and put it in .../.adds could I execute it through NM?

And if someone could provide the sed line for NM, that would be much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:48 PM   #1184
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know if we can use decimal point to get a light level between two whole numbers?
No, you can't. The only device with finer-grained frontlight control was the Aura One.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #1185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, you can't. The only device with finer-grained frontlight control was the Aura One.
Thanks for that.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel