Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #1111
Kiisa
Kiisa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
I wish i went ahead to read the last comments, updated to 5.16.3 .. oops :/
Kiisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:57 PM   #1112
topfx
topfx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw 3
I'm looking on the forum but I don't know how to block the update so that it doesn't update by accident sorry for the English but it's from the translator
topfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #1113
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfx View Post
I'm looking on the forum but I don't know how to block the update so that it doesn't update by accident sorry for the English but it's from the translator
Please answer both of the following questions.

1. Which firmware version are you running?

2. Do you have KUAL installed?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #1114
topfx
topfx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Please answer both of the following questions.

1. Which firmware version are you running?

2. Do you have KUAL installed?
PW5 5.16.2.1 KULA installed
topfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:51 PM   #1115
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiisa View Post
I wish i went ahead to read the last comments, updated to 5.16.3 .. oops :/
Chances are, it has to be compiled with a modified version check (since the version that is up rn... is from January, and doesn't even know what this version is).
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2023, 08:10 PM   #1116
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfx View Post
PW5 5.16.2.1 KULA installed
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25

has an attached KUAL extension to block updates.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #1117
Fusor
Fusor began at the beginning.

Device: KW4
Thanks

Thanks for the great work! I've been waiting to get under the hood of this thing.

I waited for a few years with my KW4 (G0000 PP13), making my firmware rather obsolete but also avoiding the latest locked up firmware. I had to scrounge around looking for the firmware files. The only ones that finally worked were named with the format update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.14.1.bin and were a pain to guess around in the amazon url namespace. I yeeted all of it to https://turrican.uraanikaivos.com/pub/kindlestuff just in case it helps anyone.

Firewall configuration is stored under /etc/sysconfig/iptables. Fixed to make my SSH port open to wireless for ease of use. I opted to redirect all communication from the kindle to ports 80 and 443 to the local firewall, making the kindle think that it's behind a paywalled wireless connection.
Fusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 09:23 PM   #1118
JustLey
JustLey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Chances are, it has to be compiled with a modified version check (since the version that is up rn... is from January, and doesn't even know what this version is).
Someone did it in the Popcorn JB thread, it worked for 5.15.1.1 but I tried it in 5.16.2.2 and no dice. Looking forward to get an updated version check
JustLey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #1119
Jose
Jose began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5th (8GB)
Well my mistake and I forgot to turn off the wifi and my Kindle was updated to 5.16.3.1. As someone already mentioned here, the hotfix and KUAL are not installed when using ;log mrpi. The Kindle restarts but KUAL still doesn't open. However, curiously I still receive the ****Jailbreak**** message when restarting the Kindle. Does this mean it's still jailbroken?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:13 AM   #1120
techq1
techq1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
I have a PW3, jailbroken on 5.14.2. Unfortunately, the USB port only works for charging now, I have tried 3 different working cable & 3 different previously working laptops & every time the PW3 enters USB devide mode on the screen, hangs with no detection of the device on the laptops. It becomes unresponsive and can only come out of that state with a forced restart.

I do have KUAL with MR Package installer, and KOReader installed. Is there anyway I can transfer an MR package for installation over wifi? I want to install an MR package that prevents OTA updates & then use wifi with Calibre for book manangement.
techq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #1121
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@NiLuJe
Can you please give us a heads up? Does USB Network work on 5.16.2.1.1? Thanks!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:41 AM   #1122
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@NiLuJe
Can you please give us a heads up? Does USB Network work on 5.16.2.1.1? Thanks!
It does scribe too
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:42 AM   #1123
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by techq1 View Post
I have a PW3, jailbroken on 5.14.2. Unfortunately, the USB port only works for charging now, I have tried 3 different working cable & 3 different previously working laptops & every time the PW3 enters USB devide mode on the screen, hangs with no detection of the device on the laptops. It becomes unresponsive and can only come out of that state with a forced restart.

I do have KUAL with MR Package installer, and KOReader installed. Is there anyway I can transfer an MR package for installation over wifi? I want to install an MR package that prevents OTA updates & then use wifi with Calibre for book manangement.
KOReader provides an ssh server with sftp you should be able to use that.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:33 AM   #1124
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Oh, cool, totally forgot about that!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #1125
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, I don't have any device running recent FW versions, so I'm not going to be much help .

The MRPI fix appeared to be trivial, so there's that, but I'll need to setup my build environment again to push updated packages, so who knows how long that might take ;o).

So, in the mean time, here's the diff (Marek has a link to a more aggressive patch in his threads, FWIW).

Code:
Index: Configs/trunk/Kindle/KUAL/MRInstaller/extensions/MRInstaller/bin/mrinstaller.sh
===================================================================
--- Configs/trunk/Kindle/KUAL/MRInstaller/extensions/MRInstaller/bin/mrinstaller.sh     (revision 18983)
+++ Configs/trunk/Kindle/KUAL/MRInstaller/extensions/MRInstaller/bin/mrinstaller.sh     (revision 19269)
@@ -135,6 +135,7 @@
 }

## Compute our current OTA version (NOTE: Pilfered from Helper's device_id.sh ;))
+fw_build="0"
 compute_current_ota_version()
 {
        fw_build_maj="$(awk '/Version:/ { print $NF }' /etc/version.txt | awk -F- '{ print $NF }')"
(The fact that they appeared to have changed how scoping behaves in ash might be of interest to some, as this isn't how POSIX shell is supposed to handle scoping ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-28-2023 at 11:52 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje