Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #46
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
adbosch, please calm down.
First: you 302 owners are not forgotten and you may be up for a few positive surprises soon.
Second: Please give our helping hands a chance to get a grip on things before slaughtering them verbally.

Everybody is still here but PB is growing up and a few people are not able to be online for user support here that much. That may mean that some new faces may be popping up. We are still as user friendly as ever and want to listen to our user's desires and problems.
Hi mtravellerh,

I'm sure glad that you replied in this topic. I think I must be the only person in the forum who is happy with the PB302 . All the unsatisfied owners sure have a hampering effect on my Pocketbook experience... I'm quite hesitant to buy the 903, and I find myself waiting for the next generation before reconsidering...

I'm still happy with the PB302, but would like Adobe Viewer to speed up and fbreader show a better layout. Adobe Viewer slows down to a crawl at the end of a large ebook.

Hardware wise I still think PB302 is excellent. Just one detail: in full sun my screen fades a bit - not as bad as I've seen in some pictures. It is still ledgible, but it isn't as clear as it should be. After a page turn, it begins with good black ink, which fades (to 60%?) while the sun hits the screen. I've set the full page update for every 10 pages. The fading is less if I set it to full page update for every page. But me being an energy saving freak, I like it on 10.
Do you consider this a screen that needs to be replaced? I have bought it 8 or 9 months ago.

I for one, am looking forward to the next update.

Thanks again,

Joepie

Last edited by joepie; 02-05-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #47
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
Quote:
Beg your pardon? I don't get your drift!
Sorry, didn't have to be in idea anybody hurt.
Simply I'm want to say, that if be abreast of some product hardware problems, didn't have would be sell.
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I am sorry to you, mtravellerh, but I have waited long enough to be p***ed with PB. Almost a year and nothing of consequence. So please, don't expect me to remain calm, when I see the value of my investment reduced to less than half the purchase price, not a single decent update, no support and finally a remark 'discontinued'.
And noW, all of a sudden and out of the blue, when the small PB302 community begins to get nasty, we should expect a surprise? Would that be something we should have had almost a year ago? Can't wait
I like my Sony prs350 a lot. And the ipad does great pdf reading. I hope PB's surprise will allow me te get a decent price for my 302 on the second hand market. Bye bye Pocketbook.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenkH View Post
I'm considering sending the Pocketbook 302 back, due to:
  • The 15.2 firmware won't install (device goes into continuos reboot cycle)
    <snip>

The problem is that I have started to 'like' the device (in spite of the flaws mentioned above) and I don't want to miss a good E-book reader (especially since I'm going on vacation in a few weeks)...
Hi HenkH, et al,

regarding the continuous reboot - are you attempting to install the firmware using the instructions on the PB website?

They are wrong. The buttons to press are the large left and right buttons, whilst turning it on. There is a "sweet spot" for holding these buttons down, and if you release them too early, or hold them too long, the firmware will not install.

Cheers,
Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #50
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If you're in Canada you should look at the Kobo from chapters, it doesn't have internet yet but future firmware might, because if you're into Canadian books or library books the Kindle won't do. But I think the Sony is the best on out there Because it's from Sony and gets library books and can buy from any books store that sells E-pub. Hope this hlp'd

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-07-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #51
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
That or the basic Sony were what I WISH I had picked up, if only to save me $150 and a fair bit of disappointment.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
First: you 302 owners are not forgotten and you may be up for a few positive surprises soon.
Second: Please give our helping hands a chance to get a grip on things before slaughtering them verbally.

Everybody is still here but PB is growing up and a few people are not able to be online for user support here that much. That may mean that some new faces may be popping up. We are still as user friendly as ever and want to listen to our user's desires and problems.
I'm sorry, but nobody at PB has any credibility with me. Read posts #2 and #4 from this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89216

My PB experiences has been far from satisfactory, as I've detailed elsewhere on this forum.

This link:

http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/products/pocketbook-302/

- shows just how little regard PB has for the 302, with references to several other PB models when discussing specifications and capabilities. Even in my short ownership, I have noticed how poor the support is for this model.

I notice the use of the word "may" in your quote above. Sounds like owners are being led on, yet again.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #53
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
The fact that they're still advertising, "Embeded Bluetooth module allows connecting not only other wireless devices to PocketBook 302, but also surf Internet with the help of the connected cell phone, which is very handy when you’re out of wi-fi covered location." on the 302 page bothers me somewhat.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #54
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

After all the run around PB has given 302 owners, I hope the "few positive surprises" are refunds, apologies, and a new reader of their choice from your range free of charge. Seriously.

I've been a very vocal supporter of the PB360 from the moment I got it. If I had to go through what these guys have gone through with your fake out promises for nearly a year, I'd have smashed the thing long ago.

I hope Pocketbook realises how bad their name is becoming, which is a real shame, because I still love my 360 (not that it actually has a publically released firmware on it, still waiting).
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #55
m2heikamp
m2heikamp began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
After all the run around PB has given 302 owners, I hope the "few positive surprises" are refunds, apologies, and a new reader of their choice from your range free of charge. Seriously.

I've been a very vocal supporter of the PB360 from the moment I got it. If I had to go through what these guys have gone through with your fake out promises for nearly a year, I'd have smashed the thing long ago.

I hope Pocketbook realises how bad their name is becoming, which is a real shame, because I still love my 360 (not that it actually has a publically released firmware on it, still waiting).

Would have smashed? I'm about to! Pocketbook's promises are like , sounds nice but nowhere near reality. I'd probably listen to and beleiev he's real before I ever start believing promises that originate from Pocketbook (and for that matter Mtravellerh).
Oh how I pity the fool.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #56
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please let's not start calling people names. I have absolutely no problem with any PB collaborator on this forum. On the contrary I deeply respect the involvement, dedication, patience and friendliness of these people.
But I still do have a problem concerning the way PB302 owners have been treated by a wrong and mistaken company's policy.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #57
adbosch
Addict

Quote:
I am calm and conclude that 'soon' means in any case more than a week.
But believe me: I'm totally thrilled with excitement because 'soon' just might be less than a month. Can't wait to see those nice surprises.

Just kidding, everybody knows 'soon' makes no sense in Ukranian. I only wanted this thread back on top.

For now it's still: bye bye Pocketbook.

Last edited by adbosch; 02-09-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #58
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've bitten my tongue more than once when following this thread. But there a few folks who are complaining very vocally about the PB 302. You act like the reader you got is a piece of junk.

I have been a happy owner of a PB 302 reader since April 2010. It was sold as a reader which it does well. It reads more formats than any reader sold at the time (or now AFAIK). It has a longer battery life than any other reader (except maybe K3 now). It's extremely customizable. It's lighter than most 6" readers. All the buttons are programmable.

Many (maybe all) of the complaints in this thread are justified. There are a few things that were promised and haven't been delivered. I'm still waiting for a decent browser. It would be nice if bluetooth worked as advertised. And there are more but even with the things missing, it was still the best 6" reader available at the time (IMHO anyway). Why else would I spend more for it than what any other 6" reader cost if I didn't think so.

To ask that Pocketbook give you a trade-in for a free reader of your choice is lunacy. That would put them out of business. But then, maybe that's what you want.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #59
Guus
Enthusiast
Guus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad 3G 64GB, iriver Story HD, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
..............That would put them out of business. But then, maybe that's what you want.
No, that is what PB wants; they put themselves out of business by making false promises.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #60
adbosch
Addict

They should go back to the original very much user based ultra-sympathetic PB360 kind of situation, which was very much software and feature oriented. Instead of the now apparently commercial policy of selling hardware with firmware following as a promise behind. And not being able to fulfill these promises with an understaffed and overcharged software development dept (at least, it looks like that).

Nobody wants PB to close business. But mistakes should be repaired! PB should behave like a big boy and at least admit to their stupidity concerning the PB302 and come up with an acceptable solution.
For the time being this thread will keep popping up on top and follow them as people keep entering their personal views. I bet they don't like that.

Last edited by adbosch; 02-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Closed Thread