Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-15-2023, 06:23 AM   #511
token_01
token_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Several
adb: error: failed to copy 'Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl' to '/system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl': remote couldn't create file: Read-only file system

Any solution to the above?

adb root simply does not work:
"adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

Only want to enable use of the page buttons while using Librera, broken since the recent update.
token_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:01 AM   #512
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by token_01 View Post
Any solution to the above?
Probably too many solutions.
  • If you use Magisk you can make a Magisk module to replace /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl
  • If you have NeoNoogie as recovery, mount /system r/w and replace the file (best to make a full backup of /system in case of some verification).
  • You could modify the kernel so that the VID/PID of the buttons is not 0001/0001. Then you could put the keylayout in /data/system/devices/keylayout/ which is writeable (but requires root).
  • You could patch the reading app to use whatever codes the buttons generate
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2023, 08:37 AM   #513
token_01

I have no idea how to make a Magisk module. Is there a step by step guide for simpletons?

Same for kernel modification.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #514
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no idea how to make a Magisk module. Is there a step by step guide for simpletons?
Making a Magisk module just for yourself (vs. for distribution) is easy.
You need to create two files on your desktop and adb push to sdcard.
The first is module.prop
Code:
id=Pointless
name=Pointless
version=1
versionCode=1
author=Me
description=Pointless
"Pointless" is the name, can be anything that you like.
The second is your keylayout.
Code:
key 116  POWER
key 102  HOME

key 191  APP_SWITCH  # top left
key 192  PAGE_UP     # top right
key 193  BACK        # bottom left
key 194  PAGE_DOWN   # bottom right
Or whatever...
Code:
# cd /data/adb/modules
# mkdir Pointless
# cd Pointless
# cp /sdcard/module.prop .
# mkdir -p system/usr/keylayout
# cd system/usr/keylayout
# cp /sdcard/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl .
# reboot
See: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/guides.html
Old 02-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #515
token_01

Neo Noogie it is...

(I'm about to chuck this stupid device in the trash, get a damn Kobo Libra 2 like I should have done)

The above doesn't seem to work or isn't clear enough for me.

the system/usr/keylayout is not the pre-existing folders?
Advert
Old 02-15-2023, 12:22 PM   #516
token_01

How does one install Neo Noogie in 2023? The website is scant and xda is full of people with issues.

fastboot boot nnglow4.img does not work (of course)
Old 02-15-2023, 01:24 PM   #517
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
How does one install Neo Noogie in 2023?
B&N ruined the nomenclature.
The Glow with the USB Type C connector uses nnglow21.img
The 7.8" Glow uses nnglow4.img
Or check your BNRV number.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery nnglow~.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery
Old 02-15-2023, 01:29 PM   #518
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
the system/usr/keylayout is not the pre-existing folders?
In the instructions above you're already in /data/adb/modules/Pointless.
You're creating system/usr/keylayout under that, i.e.
/data/adb/modules/Pointless/system/usr/keylayout
If mkdir -p doesn't work, just do it step by step.
Code:
mkdir system
cd system
mkdir etc
cd etc
mkdir keylayout
cd keylayout
Old 02-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #519
token_01

Thank you, I renamed something I shouldn't have, it now works as it should.

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:09 PM   #520
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Unless Nook firmware updates matter to you, Renate can also help you keep your GL 4 from updating in the future, so you won't have to redo your setup every time there's an update. That's what I've done.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 PM   #521
token_01

Great, how do I do that?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #522
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Great, how do I do that?
Yeah @downeaster59 , how did I do that?
Old 02-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #523
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yeah @downeaster59 , how did I do that?
I'll check out what you told me to do and get back to you! If it's not on this forum, it might be in a private message you sent me here or a post on XDA.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:15 PM   #524
token_01

Also, is there a way to change the screensaver from the generic crap that B&N saddled this device with?
Old 02-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #525
downeaster59
Wizard

@Renate: I remember asking you about blocking Nook firmware updates and that you responded, but I can't find this in this forum or on XDA (including private messages). Maybe it was in a different forum? I'll look some more.

I haven't played around with the screensaver at all, so I'm not sure about how to change it, but I am confident that it can be changed.

Tags
nook