Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes they do.
So if they do, I'm not seeing much difference between Amazon Imprints and other companies having house brands.

Other then Amazon has a lot of market share.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:44 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So, does Amazon own the imprints?
An imprint is just an alternate sign on the book, not even as different as a "house brand". It's not usually as separate as Innocent / River Rock (Coca Cola) or Ben and Jerry (Unilever) or Beats (Apple), mostly an imprint is for a different demographic or genre, just like alternate pen name. A subsidiary (a publisher wholly owned by another Publisher) isn't an imprint, but might become one.

A "house brand" isn't produced by Walmart, Tesco, Lidl or Aldi even if it's their recipe (which is rare).

Last edited by Quoth; 08-18-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So if they do, I'm not seeing much difference between Amazon Imprints and other companies having house brands.

You can buy alternate bake beans, or shampoo. If you want a particular book in a particular country it will ONLY be from one publisher.
Yes, you can read a different book from another publisher, but that's like as if ONLY Walmart had ANY brand of baked beans and elsewhere only had kidney beans, or chickpeas.

Or imagine only Microsoft had a spreadsheet program, no-one else was allowed to program a similar utility/prorgam. And they only sold it for Windows! (Kindle Unlimited via KDP exclusive).

Last edited by Quoth; 08-18-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can buy alternate bake beans, or shampoo. If you want a particular book in a particular country it will ONLY be from one publisher.
Yes, you can read a different book from another publisher, but that's like as if ONLY Walmart had ANY brand of baked beans and elsewhere only had kidney beans, or chickpeas.

Or imagine only Microsoft had a spreadsheet program, no-one else was allowed to program a similar utility/prorgam. And they only sold it for Windows! (Kindle Unlimited via KDP exclusive).
I'm not sure I agree with your differences. If I like a particular House Brand, and no one else is selling the same thing, to me that is the same as an Amazon Imprint author.

I'm assuming that some house brands have contracts where the outsourced manufacturer cannot duplicate exactly the item.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:32 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I doubt there is any "house brand" that has the uniqueness of a particular book.
Any "house brand" is simply a version of a widely available product. It might be slightly different due to quality, but it's not a monopoly product.

An Amazon imprint title is otherwise totally unavailable. There will not be a single chain store "house branded" item that doesn't have a close enough equivalent. A detective book from Author "B" published by Penguin is not an alternative to a detective book from Author "A" published with amazon, it's in addition to, like you can buy carrots and peas.

You might as well say it doesn't matter which film, book, or music you consume. If someone wants Taylor Swift giving them Shania Twain or Dolly Parton won't do. You can't say it doesn't matter if your favorite singer is on Spotify and you have no internet, or you don't want to sub just for one artist.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-18-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm assuming that some house brands have contracts where the outsourced manufacturer cannot duplicate exactly the item.
I've never seen that in any contract for a house brand. One example is Costco whose Kirkland house brand batteries are made for it by Duracell and yet Duracell continues to sell those battery sizes under their own name. If nothing else, the courts are likely to get involved in deciding the legality of such a contract.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:49 PM   #37
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That was Apple not Amazon. Amazon was the target Apple was targeting.
I see. Even so, doesn't Amazon now essentially use that fixed price for new books?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I see. Even so, doesn't Amazon now essentially use that fixed price for new books?
No. Not at all. Individual publishers have not allowed Amazon to discount their ebooks to $9.99 for quite some time (at least not the main traditional publishers). The publishers decide how little Amazon can charge for their ebooks (new or old).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've never seen that in any contract for a house brand. One example is Costco whose Kirkland house brand batteries are made for it by Duracell and yet Duracell continues to sell those battery sizes under their own name. If nothing else, the courts are likely to get involved in deciding the legality of such a contract.
Or the batteries are made by some Chinese company. Energisers are. Duracell are premium price and here they sell a cheaper Value branded Duracell in some supermarkets. But no "house brand" battery here is Duracell, Energiser/Eveready or Panasonic. I've tested and taken apart batteries.
There are loads of "label" brands, just cheapest Chinese with Grundig, Ford, JCB, Polariod and Kodak branding. B&Q/Kingfisher has their own in house Dial brand (cheap Chinese).
I don't know who makes the Lidl and Aldi own brand, but they, Varta and Panasonic are good. Panasonic are priced to match Duracell & Energiser. the three expensive brands, but the Panasonic are good quality.
I can't think why anyone would buy and rebrand Duracell.

If you search sites testing batteries you'll see the most premium feature of Duracell is price. They leak if the spring in the battery holder is too strong as the bottom seal fails.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-18-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:49 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Yes, and I answered that back in post #16:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes. But when Amazon as publisher refuse to let other stores sell copies of their ebooks and they control 80% of the ebook market I could see the government giving them a critical eye.
Basically, Amazon's big push for exclusivity might not be a big issue if they didn't also control the US ebook market.

Really, the whole 'what's the difference between a house brand and an imprint' was just a distraction.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-18-2023 at 04:52 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:26 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I can't think why anyone would buy and rebrand Duracell.
Probably that Duracell gave them the best price/quality point? They don't buy and rebrand, that is all done at the factory.

The batteries at the local Ikea look exactly the same as when they were made by Varta though they are made in China these days.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #42
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quite frankly, I'm not seeing a problem. No one is forcing anyone to buy any kind of Amazon Book. I purchase all of my books from Kobo, and as far as I know, Kobo is going strong with ebooks & readers!

No one is forcing any writer to put their books on Amazon, if the writers choose to do so that is on them. They know when they sign up that their books will be exclusively on Amazon for a length of time, if they don't like it, don't sign up! This isn't rocket science, just business!

I will say that Amazon is very good at scooping up deceased writers catalogs, which is a good thing otherwise readers wouldn't have access to their books anymore!

Amazon continues to offer what people want, if we grow tired of them, we will stop using them.

So far for ME, Amazon continues to offer good value for my money, when it ceases to do so, I will stop using them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:01 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

I will say that Amazon is very good at scooping up deceased writers catalogs, which is a good thing otherwise readers wouldn't have access to their books anymore!
Some are PD simply indy republished off IA or Gutenberg
Some are indy books violating copyright.

I can't say I've noticed actual Amazon published ones.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:22 PM   #44
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Some are PD simply indy republished off IA or Gutenberg
Some are indy books violating copyright.

I can't say I've noticed actual Amazon published ones.
I'm not interested in public domain books so I wouldn't know about that. However, I was able to purchase books that Amazon put under their Curtis Brown Digital label back in 2014. The author died all the way back in 2003. I loved her books and would never had been able to purchase the books I had in paper now in ebook format if Amazon hadn't scooped them up.

The same with Leslie Charteris The Saint series under their Thomas & Mercer label.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing for readers.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:29 AM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Until you can only buy books from Amazon.