Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
iPhone has never been the majority smartphone
It has LONG been the majority smartphone in the biggest non-China market, the one that matters most in many other metrics

Quote:
According to the latest data on smartphone market shares in the US, as of July 2022, Apple has the biggest piece of the pie, with 56.69%.
https://www.oberlo.com/statistics/sm...e-market-share

It has previously held the Nr 1 slot globally, al though no manufacturer has ever had a majority. Apple did have a plurality at one point and the tiny gap between it and Samsung shows that it could well do so again
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:05 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, in the USA. So still less than 20% of world market.
The iPhone is perceived as American, it's been near parity with Android for years in the USA. But not in most of the world. UK & Ireland next biggest.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The iPhone is perceived as American, it's been near parity with Android for years in the USA.
Near-parity? It is at 56% - that's better than parity. The iPhone has consistently been Nr 1 in the US. I have never owned and will never own any Apple products, but that doesn't prevent me from being honest about its market dominance in the market that drives the West.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Near-parity? It is at 56% - that's better than parity. The iPhone has consistently been Nr 1 in the US. I have never owned and will never own any Apple products, but that doesn't prevent me from being honest about its market dominance in the market that drives the West.
It WAS near parity for some years (USA only). So 56% isn't a big increase. Do read what I actually wrote.

Certainly the USA is dominant in many areas, but they neither control the "West" or the world.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic is all wrong.

Quote:
The anticipated sequential growth in revenue and net profit in the second half of the year comes as the world’s major retailers quicken pace in installing electronic shelf labels (ESLs), offsetting weakening demand for e-reader and e-note products, E Ink said.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The iPhone is perceived as American, it's been near parity with Android for years in the USA. But not in most of the world. UK & Ireland next biggest.
Pretty big in Australia also.

Source: https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-ma...bile/australia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 12.34.07 am.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	196477  
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:40 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
It has LONG been the majority smartphone in the biggest non-China market, the one that matters most in many other metrics
The iPhone has about 20% of the installed base of smartphones. But iPhone users have a much outsized representation. They simply do more with their phones…particularly things that cost money.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are falling for Media hype and product placement. It only dominates in hype & profit margin.
It’s not hype. The iPhone punches way above its market share weight and always has. With 80% market share globally, Android should have made the iPhone a distant memory a decade ago.

But everyone makes more money on iPhone. Not just Apple.

More app revenue for developers for iOS apps. Still.

More mobile commerce, still.

Apple puts in a “opt in” for tracking and facebooks profits take a huge hit. Why? Why isn’t the iPhone a mere 20% of fb revenue? Because iPhone customers spend the most money - they are the audience advertisers are paying to reach.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:58 PM   #39
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Apple puts in a “opt in” for tracking and facebooks profits take a huge hit. Why? Why isn’t the iPhone a mere 20% of fb revenue? Because iPhone customers spend the most money - they are the audience advertisers are paying to reach.
It's hardly surprising, either. If you were an advertiser, and you knew of a group of people who willingly paid more than double for mediocre tech products just because of the logo on the side, wouldn't you want to advertise to those people, too? People with such a mindset are prime candidates for advertisers, because they've already demonstrated a propensity for being easily parted from their money.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The iPhone has about 20% of the installed base of smartphones. But iPhone users have a much outsized representation. They simply do more with their phones…particularly things that cost money.

No, it doesn't have "about 20%". You did not specify the frame of reference. In the US, it has 56%, and globally, it has around 28%. Those numbers, unlike yours, are provided with citations above. And 27-28% is significantly more than 20%, more than 1/4 versus 1/5. One sincerely hopes iPhone calculators don't round numbers down quite so loosely
Old 09-13-2022, 12:46 AM   #41
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That was me, I bought the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight because I thought it was a neat device (queue pointless and wrong slagging from Jon), but the instant I started reading on it, I fell in love. I haven't read a paper book since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I bought a Kobo STR as a backup for $20 from Radio Shack. It was a waste of $20.
Emphasis mine.

I would normally pass this by, but as Jon loves being needlessly (and more than occasionally destructively) pedantic I felt someone should call him out for bashing a Kobo product that never existed, but had it existed would have been perfectly serviceable as an ereader much like the Nook STR was when it was released and still is to this day.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
No, it doesn't have "about 20%". You did not specify the frame of reference. In the US, it has 56%, and globally, it has around 28%. Those numbers, unlike yours, are provided with citations above. And 27-28% is significantly more than 20%, more than 1/4 versus 1/5. One sincerely hopes iPhone calculators don't round numbers down quite so loosely
Yes, I didn't specify a time frame. And no - I wasn't limiting myself to the US. And yes, it's been around 20% for a long time. If you think 28% materially changes the point - ok. I don't.

It remains that iOS users simply use their phones in commercial ways far above their unit market share. Even in the US...even with 50% share...the iPhone has far greater than 50% share of commerce.

I said from the beginning that I have no data behind my opinion - but there are other similar data.

I still believe that more ebooks are read on an iPhone than any other device.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:50 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

I still believe that more ebooks are read on an iPhone than any other device.
I think that's probably right. I haven't tracked it, but I have probably done about half my reading on one over last several years, and more if you include audiobooks (which I almost never read on any other device).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:32 AM   #44
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It was always my dream to read digitally. Before I knew about e-readers I was reading PDFs on an old Sony Ericsson PDA phone in the mid 2000s. Back then it wasn’t about saving storage space it was about having the ability to carry lots of books with me at any given time. I’d heard of the original kindle but that wasn’t available in the UK. So I got my first iPhone in 2009 (iPhone 3G) and that was when I first really got into reading e-books. So I read a number of books on my tiny iPhone screen. A couple of months later I learned of the existence of the Sony e-readers so I bought a PRS-300. That was when my transition to ebooks was completed. Once I got the PRS-300 at the end of 2009 I became a ebook only reader. The following year the kindle keyboard launched in the UK and pre-ordered that. I’ve been using a kindle and reading ebooks ever since.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:37 AM   #45
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Maybe in some parts of USA because iOS is about 50% there. People here that bought iphones were not book readers. Also reading ebooks on phones was low still by 2010 (iPhone launched 2007). Outside USA Android is about 80% +
Android launched in 2008.
Bigger screens made phones more popular than tablets for reading on the go.
The first iOS Kindle version was about March 2009.
Android is not 80% here in the UK. It fluctuates but it’s about 50% iOS, 50% android. At times it can go slightly either way.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote