Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Depends.

Favourite books w/ dragons:

Tea With the Black Dragon --- R.A. MacAvoy --- very cool, esp. for its handling of the early days of microcomputers and very cool mention of Dr. Donald Knuth's _The Art of Computer Programming_

_Stormbringer_, et. al. --- Michael Moorcock --- interesting that the dragons are limited by sleep, and the interplay and relationship of the protagonist w/ them is well handled

_Earthsea Trilogy_ --- Ursula K. LeGuin --- amazing handling of dragons and magic and how intertwined the twain are.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm OK with the threat of dragons, but I don't actually want to "see" them or have them be characters (or god forbid have them talk) in the books I read.

There is no refreshing, new twist that an author can come up with for dragons... it's been done.

I have a terrible case of elfinorcaphobia, as well.
seriously! another vote for Naomi Novik's series! and Martins Dragons have so far been pretty awesome it will be interesting to see where he goes with them. it's been a LONG time since I read LeGuin but as I recall they were pretty amazing also. I agree though, some authors just got too weird with the dragons and elves
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My wife loves dragons. Paints 25mm miniatures of them as well
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I like dragons. Even have some dragon statues. BUT some stories with dragons would be better left unwritten.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If it's well written, the plot sounds interesting, as are the characters, and it's not horrendously exciting, you could write about goldfish and I might take a punt..........

And as long as it doesn't have vampires, zombies, or promises to change my life....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Only some. Stop hating on the dragons, lol.
Spoiler:
[IMG][/IMG]
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #22
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Yes to dragons!
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I love dragons!!!

Mrs Joseph I second your thumbs up for Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison! I just read that and it was SO amazing! Can't wait for book 2 in August!

I am also, this year, re-reading Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. I read them all a long time ago.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
LOVE the Pern books. i had the fortunate mistake of reading The White Dragon first ... easily the best book of the entire series. I have read them all at least once, most of them twice (pretty much everything before Renegades). planning on re-reading the series later this year.

And, Gleep rules.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... sounds to me like there may be a bunch of Georges in the audience.

The dragons of PERN made for what I feel may be the best example of a successful
bridging of Fantasy and Science Fiction - ever.

I admit that it can be over done, as for instance there being altogether too many
sequels to "The Dragon and The George". I do think, though that the dragon must be
something more than a flying mount for the hero of the story. Dragons do imply a
measure of magic and an ancient wisdom. So I have no objection to them being a
pivotal character and their speaking. (A slightly British accent may be a requirement,
as well.) The part that dragons played in the "Halfblood Chronicles" might be a good
example, of a way to integrate dragonkind and humankind. (Don't let the title fool you)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #26
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
LOVE Norton's Half-blood Chronicles! You just reminded me to pick them up.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I loved Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles and it had dragons...

But, yeah, generally I tend to assign a token demerit in my head to a book if it has dragons in it. It's something that can DEFINITELY work and be done well, but it's also something that can be mishandled badly.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Dragons are cool. Elves, fairies and goblins too for that matter. In fact what we need are vampire-eating dragons.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 07-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Make that "Dragons that eat Romantic Urban Vampires"!
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Dragon neutral here. Don't get me started on sparkly vampires though...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote