Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But why would you have any Reader in a bag without a case? That's a good way to either break the screen or scratch the screen.
I’ve had most of my listed Kobos in a messenger bag without a case. They have all survived without a scratch. Honestly if I didn’t replace them until they broke I’d be using my Kobo H2Ov1 right now. Or maybe one of the Nook glowlights I forget which one I had before getting the H2O

Of course it’s easy when you take care packing a bag appropriately.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I would strongly recommend using a case, even if it's just a sleeve, to keep your screen protected. Don't bother with Kobo's expensive cases. I bought mine from Amazon for about £15 and hardly notice it while I'm reading: just bend it back and hold the reader with one hand. The case doesn't add any noticeable weight.

If you really don't want a case, I strongly recommend a sturdy sleeve.
Most sleeves are not sturdy. They are just cloth and in most cases, lightweight so the screen can still maybe get scratched or broken. A case is best if the Reader is going to be in a bag with other stuff.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’ve had most of my listed Kobos in a messenger bag without a case. They have all survived without a scratch. Honestly if I didn’t replace them until they broke I’d be using my Kobo H2Ov1 right now. Or maybe one of the Nook glowlights I forget which one I had before getting the H2O

Of course it’s easy when you take care packing a bag appropriately.
I never put my H2O in one of my bags without a case. I know I put it in the bag so it's fairly safe. But I don't like to take a risk. Also, it's better to hold when it's in a case. I just fold back the cover and it's easier to hold.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #19
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've put my Kindle Paperwhite 2 in my backpack without a case for 3 or 4 years. No scratches, now it's in its own pocket in the backpack.

Also, originally I used it with a case but found it easier and lighter to not use a case.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I've put my Kindle Paperwhite 2 in my backpack without a case for 3 or 4 years. No scratches, now it's in its own pocket in the backpack.

Also, originally I used it with a case but found it easier and lighter to not use a case.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
One day, you will find your Reader damaged or broken.

As for easier, no way is it easier. It's easier to hold using a case. As for lighter, it's negligible.
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
One day, you will find your Reader damaged or broken.

As for easier, no way is it easier. It's easier to hold using a case. As for lighter, it's negligible.
John is spelled with an h because that’s the way it has to be spelled.

That’s how you sound there.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #22
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went ahead and got my first Kobo (Libra 2). I love it so far.

A few weird things (coming from a Kindle Paperwhite 2):

1. In the main menu and keyboard there's a decent amount of ghosting but reading is fine. I did switch the refresh rate to 3 pages.

2. I'm seeing page numbers in the right margin. Which is fine except it covers the book text.

3. I noticed it seems picky on what USB-C cable you use. One of mine which I use to charge my phone every night won't charge the Libra 2, weird.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Page numbers in right margin is Adobe page numbers. Check settings | Reading Settings | Show Adobe EPUB page numbers (there are multiple pages on Reading Settings)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:40 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Page numbers in right margin is Adobe page numbers. Check settings | Reading Settings | Show Adobe EPUB page numbers (there are multiple pages on Reading Settings)

That is odd as the right margin ADE page numbers are off by default.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That is odd as the right margin ADE page numbers are off by default.
No they are not. I mean, if they were off by default, why would there have been so many questions about them over the years?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Many, many users of different readers share your view. Like you, we many find that we can use a device for years without cover and without damage. The significant saving in weight is a delightful bonus - as is the intense irritation it causes a very vocal cover fetishist.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:57 AM   #27
just_jeepin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

That did it, thank you!
Old 07-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #28
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Quote:
I'm a Kindle user (Paper White 2) who's thinking of switching to a Libra 2. I have a few questions for any owners of the Libra 2:

1. Can it play standard mp3 audiobooks or only Kobo audiobooks? I've found conflicting reports. Not a major deal as I'll probably still just listen via my phone.

2. Does it have TTS? I'd love to find an ereader that can read my ebooks to me.

Thanks for any answers!
You can run your own MP3 audio / music on Kobo Libra 2 (and maybe other models as well). See here https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...kobo-ereaders/

I tried it and it works. Kobo comes with a very simple MP3 player.
However note this: You can not listen music while reading an ebook on the same ereader!
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
You can run your own MP3 audio / music on Kobo Libra 2 (and maybe other models as well). See here https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...kobo-ereaders/
I am always intrigued by the desire to post a link to a blog that is based on post here. Which is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342747.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #30
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am always intrigued by the desire to post a link to a blog that is based on post here. Which is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342747.
It is always good to have multiple sources to prevent blindness...
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote