Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Except it's a not an explanation. There are not 8 primaries.
It's obviously C, Y, M, white and black, but it doesn't actually explain how the cells work.

It's certainly very clever (compared to Triton and Kaledo which are just monochrome eink with filters) but seems to be a development of 6 year old technology originally too slow and too poor colour rendition for ereaders, so used for posters/advertising.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-01-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the colour rendition was always pretty good. It was the refresh speed of tens of seconds that made it entirely unsuitable for ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
E-Ink explains their ACeP technology as such:

-> https://www.eink.com/color-technology.html

"[I]Advanced Color ePaper (ACeP™) is a high quality, full color reflective display. In the ACeP™ system, the ink can produce full color at every pixel, without the use of a color filter array (CFA).
I agree that this represents several significant improvements, especially in resolution, but red, green, and blue will still have significant desaturation.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think the colour rendition was always pretty good. It was the refresh speed of tens of seconds that made it entirely unsuitable for ebooks.
The 7.8" Pocketbook is a bit too pixelated for me for comfortable viewing, both images and text. I hope this newer technology will be actually usable for me.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:59 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I didn't realize this still doesn't have shades, which might be OK at 300dpi, but I'm guessing it might not even be available at 300dpi.

Last edited by j.p.s; 05-01-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #21
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Except it's a not an explanation. There are not 8 primaries.
It's obviously C, Y, M, white and black, but it doesn't actually explain how the cells work.
I think E-Inks explanation and the grafic illustrate quite well how this works. I am sure there is more to it in detail, but yeah...

Yes, each cell contains only 4 pigments (cyan, yellow, magenta and white). Not 8 or 5. (There is no black.)

I believe, they are talking about a "full color gamut" and "8 primary colors" to differentiate this technology from some of their other color displays.
Their e-ink Spectra color display for example also contains 4 or 5 pigments in each cell (black, white, red, yellow and orange for the latest version), but can only show a limited range of colors.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
https://www.eink.com/news.html?type=...ar=2022&page=1

They have examples of foldable, bendable color e-ink panels. I can see this stuff revolutionizing panels, TVs and reading material in the future.
No way will this revolutionize TVs. OLED is the way of TVs and this is not nearly as good.

However, I can see it cut into tablet sales.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #23
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
This is a ray of light to all of us who thougth that Kaleido would be the best we would have in colour, at least for a long time.

Personally, I see 50000 colours as a big jump from the 4000 we have with Kaleido, even we get an improvement in DPI, not so much, but something it's something. The only bad part of this technology is the refresh rate. I am wondering if it could be improved just with a better hardware, or if it's an architecture problem that will live forever with it. Any ideas about that point?

Last edited by eReader fan; 06-13-2022 at 12:08 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote