Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #1846
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Is it too much to ask for Manufacturers when discontinuing software support to allow a path to open source communities to take the helm? Seems like it would help reduce e-waste.
No, because then they couldn't sell you new things.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:29 PM   #1847
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ah, planned obsolescence. Hate to think about how much electronic waste comes from that.
Quote:
It all started with the incandescent lamp!
How so?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 05:13 PM   #1848
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When the manufacturer releases a firmware with bugs and will not fix them because that's the last firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:34 PM   #1849
kwik
kwik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So, what bit of technology has annoyed you today?
Aside from the usuals:
www.geoengineeringwatch.org

Nothing to complain about! My bits and bytes are being treated well. Software and hardware are both working as a team, and neither has let down the team.
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:54 PM   #1850
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Damn Visual C redistributables. Gotta catch them all.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 AM   #1851
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Windows 11. Uniformity will be enforced by a lack of user options.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:44 PM   #1852
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Windows 11. Uniformity will be enforced by a lack of user options.
I finally gave in. For at least 10 years I've had dual monitors with task bar on one side - it was nice while it lasted. I had nice neat named grouping on the start menu - no more. I thought the window snap sounded promising but it's useless to me. And, not sure if I can blame Win11 but some Firefox links - like news links in Yahoo Finance - are freezing it up so I have to kill it with task manager. Not fun so far. Oh, I also had the Stardock Start10 app. It shows in my start menu with an uninstall option which takes me to Win settings>apps but Start10 isn't in the list to uninstall - can't figure out how to get rid of it...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #1853
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
For at least 10 years I've had dual monitors with task bar on one side...
You selfish person!
Microsoft spent millions of dollars evaluating personal preferences and 60% didn't want what you want. So you are SOL.

If you ever find a way to have square corners on windows without knee-capping the GPU you will have an ardent supporter here.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:13 PM   #1854
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
How so?
Have a read about the "Phoebus cartel"

neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:21 PM   #1855
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have a read about the "Phoebus cartel"
Fair enough, but the situation is complicated for incandescent lamps since the electricity used over its lifetime excedes the cost of the bulb and its luminous efficiency increases much faster than lifetime decreases when it is driven harder. Of course most people would consider having to change bulbs every few tens of hours unacceptable and the cost of replacing the bulb is more than just the cost of the bulb. But it is not at all clear that a 2000 hour bulb is better overall than a 1000 hour bulb.

But planned obsolecance sucks overall and needs to die and it's too bad that the Phoebus cartel probably weren't slapped with criminal penalties.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:20 PM   #1856
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I finally gave in. For at least 10 years I've had dual monitors with task bar on one side - it was nice while it lasted. I had nice neat named grouping on the start menu - no more. I thought the window snap sounded promising but it's useless to me. And, not sure if I can blame Win11 but some Firefox links - like news links in Yahoo Finance - are freezing it up so I have to kill it with task manager. Not fun so far. Oh, I also had the Stardock Start10 app. It shows in my start menu with an uninstall option which takes me to Win settings>apps but Start10 isn't in the list to uninstall - can't figure out how to get rid of it...
Try ==>> ExplorerPatcher
and/or ==>> Windhawk
and ==>> How to Open Control Panel in Windows 11 ot might have the old Progs & Feats option

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:04 PM   #1857
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Digital Television Overscan

• Digital televisions which overscan by default
  • Consumers unaware of this
  • Television networks and stations that assume overscan when positioning their logos.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:07 PM   #1858
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try ==>> ExplorerPatcher
and/or ==>> Windhawk
and ==>> How to Open Control Panel in Windows 11 ot might have the old Progs & Feats option

BR
Thanks - I'll check those out...
Old 03-17-2024, 07:17 PM   #1859
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks - I'll check those out...
Sounds good, but I think that the no-round corner mods hack the GPU so that it can't do the transparency needed for round corner. Everything says that the performance takes a hit. Just consider the Registry setting, SomethingBuffer=0. It's not "DontBeAnnoyingWithRoundCorners".
Old 03-17-2024, 07:20 PM   #1860
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
You selfish person!
Microsoft spent millions of dollars evaluating personal preferences and 60% didn't want what you want. So you are SOL.

If you ever find a way to have square corners on windows without knee-capping the GPU you will have an ardent supporter here.
I must be part of the 40% with dual or ultrawide monitors with lots more horizontal real estate than vertical? To add insult to injury I can't even adjust the task bar's height any more...