Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2024, 02:33 PM   #1831
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ah Sims 2, you and your glitches.

Time to update to Sims 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:34 PM   #1832
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Helped a friend troubleshoot a Linux distribution (Void Linux) on their new computer and while the OS was stable, the customized packages need a lot more testing. Items such as their Chromium based browser refusing to connect to the Internet with an error message that made no sense to us. I ended up using my laptop to troubleshoot the error which basically amounted to the browser/network stack thinking it was on an open WiFi network and considering that to be a security issue. After a couple of hours, got it up and running and then installed calibre from binary using the command line from Kovid Goyal's site. Got the usual packages needed message, installed them and finally success. Of course, we then ran into issues with calibre's ebook viewer showing a blank screen. Wayland has been around to 17 years and still does not seem ready for prime time.

At that point, I practiced some of my vocabulary words, wiped the hard drive and installed openSUSE since I had the USB stick on hand. So far, that has been a better experience for them.
Your friend needs dump Wayland and never use it ever again. It's garbage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 02:36 PM   #1833
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No that's a downgrade. Plus the microtransactions and DLC come to thousands of dollars.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #1834
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Your friend needs dump Wayland and never use it ever again. It's garbage.
Jon, did you bother to read my entire message (you know, the one you quoted in it's entirety) before spitting out your predigested Wayland comment?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:12 PM   #1835
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I might trigger a few people here... but printer ink!

The price, how quickly it dries up, chips in cartridges that prevent third party options and refilling... and did I mention PRICE!

Some multifunction printer scanner units won't even let you scan if there's no ink...
That's the reason I prefer separate devices. To me, in the above situation the User should be able to return the device because it is malfunctioning.

It's the same issue when you buy an all-in-one stereo system. It's convenient until one of the components break, then you have to take the whole thing in for repair.

Worse, I had an component system made by one company. Unfortunately, soon every component of it except for the tuner stopped working properly. Since then, when it comes to audio I intentionally buy a mutt system, with every component coming from a different manufacturer.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 08:28 PM   #1836
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Besides, I already tried it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-06 21_27_57-Playnite.png
Views:	27
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	206755
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 PM   #1837
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Worse, I had an component system made by one company. Unfortunately, soon every component of it except for the tuner stopped working properly. Since then, when it comes to audio I intentionally buy a mutt system, with every component coming from a different manufacturer.
I've also had some negative experiences with multifunction AV equipment. Some exceedingly expensive. Much more convenient just replacing a component than having to ship off the entire thing for repair etc.

Also had issues with some $ony digital equipment, not so much with the hardware, but $ony dropping support for various pieces of software and no longer updating drivers etc. Grrrr
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:43 PM   #1838
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Ah, planned obsolescence. Hate to think about how much electronic waste comes from that.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:49 PM   #1839
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, planned obsolescence. Hate to think about how much electronic waste comes from that.
It all started with the incandescent lamp!

I'm sure some of it is just companies being cheap and wanting to save a few pennies per device to scrape a large profit at volume... but there's a tinfoil hat wearing part of me imagining a deliberately configured component countdown micro-nuke.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:15 PM   #1840
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Back in the 00s, many many many capacitators prematurely went kaput because the manufacturers were using a cheaper but faulty electrolyte formula... corporate espionage might also have been involved.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:28 PM   #1841
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've also had some negative experiences with multifunction AV equipment. Some exceedingly expensive. Much more convenient just replacing a component than having to ship off the entire thing for repair etc.

Also had issues with some $ony digital equipment, not so much with the hardware, but $ony dropping support for various pieces of software and no longer updating drivers etc. Grrrr
I agree about Sony when it comes to their software. For their Walkman players they had a music management program named Media Go. It wasn't a fancy program and it had some quirks (syncing was basically not useable) but it was very easy to use. To add music I just connect my player, select the songs I want on my player, and send them. A few seconds later, it was done and I could disconnect my player.

Unfortunately, Sony dropped support for Media Go. They replaced it with a program named "Music Center for PC" and it is a program that I found to be unusable. I ended up returning to MediaMonkey. Now that I've upgrade to Windows 11 I might give Music Center for PC another try if they've upgraded for Windows 11.

When comes to audio equipment, I wasn't referring to multifunction devices. For each component in my audio setup I had a different brand to avoid the trap of proprietary connectors. I might have a Philips CD player, a Harmon-Karden integrated amplifier, a Sony Turntable, and JVC Minidisc Deck.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:13 AM   #1842
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Back in the 00s, many many many capacitators prematurely went kaput because the manufacturers were using a cheaper but faulty electrolyte formula... corporate espionage might also have been involved.
If that is the one that had multiple manufacturers scrambling to replace motherboards, corporate espionage was definitely involved in the capacitor plague from 1999 to 2007.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:02 AM   #1843
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I agree about Sony when it comes to their software.
Me too. I have one of their camcorders which I bought over ten years ago. It works well but the software to transfer the video to PC has been discontinued. The version I got with the camcorder doesn’t work properly. Bummer.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:43 AM   #1844
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Me too. I have one of their camcorders which I bought over ten years ago. It works well but the software to transfer the video to PC has been discontinued. The version I got with the camcorder doesn’t work properly. Bummer.
Is it too much to ask for Manufacturers when discontinuing software support to allow a path to open source communities to take the helm? Seems like it would help reduce e-waste.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:00 PM   #1845
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Quote:
Is it too much to ask for Manufacturers when discontinuing software support to allow a path to open source communities to take the helm? Seems like it would help reduce e-waste.
I tried Music Center for PC again and it was the same as before (sluggish to the point of being unusable). I wonder why Sony abandoned Media Go, which is so much better than Music Center for PC?

I agree that the Open Source Community should be allowed to continue to support abandoned applications. The following illustrates why: Sony used to have a software application named SonicStage that was mandatory to use with the Sony Walkman Digital Audio Players (DAP). Without it your computer couldn't even see the Walkman when connected. If the application was discontinued what were people supposed to do?