Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2024, 11:50 PM   #1816
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How would they know how many people use which version? Surely they must realise that if the current stable version doesn't work, that people will notice and update to the beta version that does.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:03 AM   #1817
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How would they know how many people use which version? Surely they must realise that if the current stable version doesn't work, that people will notice and update to the beta version that does.
Ofc Amazon can't tell how many people use what. It's just my guess that they don't much care, as long as the regular version can't remove their newer DRM. As I said, I could be wrong. But it's a bit telling that they updated their DRM several times right after the regular plugin acquired the ability to remove DRM from KFX files, and they didn't after the beta version with that ability was released.

As to masses of people updating to the beta version... I doubt that. Many people have trouble finding and downloading even the regular version from GitHub, let alone the beta. Personally I think an average user will just give up when they can't get their regular version to work. They're not likely to be even aware that the beta version with the ability to handle KFX exists. I only know because I read all DRM threads here on MR. How many people do that?

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-13-2024 at 12:09 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 12:15 AM   #1818
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I only know because I read all DRM threads here on MR. How many people do that?
There's also at least a few people who read the threads, but still don't know. I've mostly stopped keeping up with them because of that.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:00 AM   #1819
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I think it is intentional on noDRM's part to keep 10.0.9 as "pre-release". If you want the absolute latest when any change to the code happens, there is an alpha auto-release.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:53 AM   #1820
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I think it is intentional on noDRM's part to keep 10.0.9 as "pre-release". If you want the absolute latest when any change to the code happens, there is an alpha auto-release.
it could also be that there's no new code to make it 10.1.0.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 09:15 AM   #1821
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
But there was a change to master 3 months ago, so there is some new code from when the prerelease was made available.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:48 AM   #1822
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Most people have no idea what a tar.gz is or what they should do with it. Everyone knows what a zip is.
Though tar files without the gz are 10 years older than zip files (1979 vs 1989). Tar formats are officially on Windows since 2018 and were probably available from 3rd parties decades earlier.

I'm not convinced that most Windows / Mac / iOS / Android / Chromebook users know what a computer zip file is.

And even here many new members don't realise an epub (and its 1998 predecessor) is simply a renamed zip with rules as to what should be in it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:05 AM   #1823
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm not convinced that most Windows / Mac / iOS / Android / Chromebook users know what a computer zip file is.
Neither am I. If they did, they'd configure their browsers to not auto-expand them after downloading. Windows also doesn't help by allowing users to open them in a file explorer just like they were any other folder. They're not, and they shouldn't be treated as such.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:22 AM   #1824
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Neither am I. If they did, they'd configure their browsers to not auto-expand them after downloading. Windows also doesn't help by allowing users to open them in a file explorer just like they were any other folder. They're not, and they shouldn't be treated as such.
I disagree. That metaphor works well for probably better than 80% of typical people's use of archive files. (The most common exception being installs). And Windows/desktop metaphors are inappropriate for some percentage of almost everything anyway. I still spend too much of my time explaining to users the difference between a file and a shortcut on their desktop.

Last edited by ApK; 03-13-2024 at 11:26 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:59 AM   #1825
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
But there was a change to master 3 months ago, so there is some new code from when the prerelease was made available.
Sorry, but incorrect. The beta was released December 21, 2023. The 3 month old code was put out in December 2023 before the beta was made available. Some of the code was committed on the 21st of December and some before.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-14-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:42 PM   #1826
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I disagree. That metaphor works well for probably better than 80% of typical people's use of archive files. (The most common exception being installs). And Windows/desktop metaphors are inappropriate for some percentage of almost everything anyway. I still spend too much of my time explaining to users the difference between a file and a shortcut on their desktop.
It's not a metaphor. It's MS adding features to Explorer instead of fixing bugs. It doesn't help usability. But obviously MS now shares your opinion. They didn't use to do it this way.
Also some versions of Explorer break zip format files when the user treats them as if they are folders/directories because that's what Explorer is doing.

Also shortcuts are not just on the desktop. They can be anywhere and historically they had great big arrow on the icon if it was user created.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-13-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:28 PM   #1827
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but incorrect. The beta was released December 21, 2023. The 3 month old code was put out in December 2023 before the beta was made available. Some of the code was commuted on the 21st of December and some before.
You are also incorrect. There are multiple releases all with the same 10.0.9 version number.

The beta release on the Releases page for DeDRM was produced on August 2, 2023. However there is a newer alpha release, last updated on December 21 with additional changes. They are both version 10.0.9.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:31 PM   #1828
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That metaphor works well for probably better than 80% of typical people's use of archive files. (The most common exception being installs). And Windows/desktop metaphors are inappropriate for some percentage of almost everything anyway. I still spend too much of my time explaining to users the difference between a file and a shortcut on their desktop.
I'm afraid I don't understand the use of the word "metaphor" here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2024 at 01:40 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:29 PM   #1829
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand the use of the word "metaphor" here.
The metaphor of "desktop", "folder" and such, underlying most windows-like desktop operating environments. It is the standard term, IIRC.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...sktop-metaphor

So extending the common folder metaphor to "zip compressed folders" seems appropriate to me considering how they are most commonly used.
ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM   #1830
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You are also incorrect. There are multiple releases all with the same 10.0.9 version number.

The beta release on the Releases page for DeDRM was produced on August 2, 2023. However there is a newer alpha release, last updated on December 21 with additional changes. They are both version 10.0.9.
The newer release incorporates the existing code. There is no code not in the current 10.0.9.