Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2024, 10:59 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. I didn't know Sideload Mode existed. Probably wouldn't use it.

One other question, does Kobo now force you to update if you turn on your Kobo's devices' WiFi? I think you used to be able to say no automatic updates. Is that now gone? (I haven't upgraded to the more recent updates, I'm still using version 4.35.20400 — on the Clara, at least. But probably older on the other Kobos.) I don't have automatic sync turned on, but I think you can choose not to update even after it downloads the update file, or am I wrong about that?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:10 PM   #32
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It may or may not ask you if you want to update. There's a patch that should force it to ask you every time. If you use Wi-Fi, you're going to get an update sooner or later, unless you block Kobo's servers in your router.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:19 PM   #33
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
While you are in SideloadedMode=true mode, can you still access the beta web browser? In particular, can you use the web browser to download PDF and non-protected epub files as a way to sideload ebooks?
shyhermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:20 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It may or may not ask you if you want to update. There's a patch that should force it to ask you every time. If you use Wi-Fi, you're going to get an update sooner or later, unless you block Kobo's servers in your router.
I just keep the WiFi turned off, unless I've borrowed a book or want to download a book from Kobo. I think it has downloaded the update in the past, but I deleted it before shutting the Kobo off. (It's been a while, I can't remember for sure.)

BTW, I don't turn off WiFi because of the registration. I do it because I want the battery to last longer. And I heard of some bugs in some of the newer updates so I've avoided them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:41 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
While you are in SideloadedMode=true mode, can you still access the beta web browser? In particular, can you use the web browser to download PDF and non-protected epub files as a way to sideload ebooks?
Yes, you can use the beta browser in SideLoaded mode.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:48 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It seems rather odd to me that anyone would want to avoid registering with Kobo while also being fine with registering for Google, DropBox, and other services. The point of sideload mode is to use the device totally offline and remove the clutter of the Home screen. If you want to be connected to online services, then don't enable sideload mode.
Another nice post mixing fact and opinion.

Quote:
You only need to download dictionaries one time, and it doesn't require a Kobo account to do so. You will probably want to install firmware manually for patching purposes, so yes, sideload mode is for people who want to keep their Kobos offline and not connected to online accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes, you can use the beta browser in SideLoaded mode.
IMO, since you can turn wifi on, and do stuff online, shows that the point of SideloadedMode isn't to use the device entirely offline. YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Another nice post mixing fact and opinion.

IMO, since you can turn wifi on, and do stuff online, shows that the point of SideloadedMode isn't to use the device entirely offline. YMMV.
The point is to operate with ebooks sideloaded by USB, though sideloaded via the browser is just about possible.

It's offline in terms of being "logged in".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:00 PM   #38
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
it is a fact that it's failed twice. Once in a 3.x firmware and once in a 4.x firmware.

And as for v5, when that does eventually come to be for Kobo, there's no idea what will happen.
Jon if someone isn’t giving a real email they’re certainly not going to give a credit card and likely aren’t going to use even gift cards. They’re going to buy books elsewhere and load them up or get books from their library/other free services and do the same.

Point being your doom and gloom doesn’t affect them.

And failing twice in the number of firmware updates Kobo has offered up is pretty meaningless.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:01 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Jon if someone isn’t giving a real email they’re certainly not going to give a credit card and likely aren’t going to use even gift cards. They’re going to buy books elsewhere and load them up or get books from their library/other free services and do the same.

Point being your doom and gloom doesn’t affect them.

And failing twice in the number of firmware updates Kobo has offered up is pretty meaningless.
Is it meaningless if you are the one who looses all stats and annotations when the database goes south?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:24 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it meaningless if you are the one who looses all stats and annotations when the database goes south?
Their Kobo, their choice. I tend to suspect that anyone who is hacking the user registration is also likely to be someone who keeps backups of their ereader databases if not the entire exposed partition.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:28 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Their Kobo, their choice. I tend to suspect that anyone who is hacking the user registration is also likely to be someone who keeps backups of their ereader databases if not the entire exposed partition.
My guess is someone who wants to bypass the registration is pirating eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:53 AM   #42
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Even Jesus didn't like hypocrites.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:59 AM   #43
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
When Jesus enters the house, it's time for everybody to take a deep breath.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:04 AM   #44
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
When Jesus enters the house, it's time for everybody to take a deep breath.
But.. .but.. I haven't called anyone a nazi yet! I demand the right to Godwin this thread!
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:59 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Jon, you really don't want to go there. Accusing people who want to skip registration as being ebook pirates without any evidence to support your claim is not acceptable behaviour.