Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2024, 09:55 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Probably a new Kindle-MTP driver would be best. I suspect any future Amazon Kindle eink models with more than 32G storage will also use MTP.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:35 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Moved.
This actually belongs in Kindle Formats as this has to do with KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:52 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
No, that folder is still accessible using MTP.

The issue is that calibre uses separate drivers for Kindle devices and MTP devices. Only the Kindle device driver has the code to handle Kindle thumbnails. Fixing this requires significant changes to the calibre MTP driver or the creation of a new Kindle-MTP driver..
It doesnt need changes to the MTP driver as such, just somebody with a scribe needs to write additional code in that driver to do the thumbnail dance, when the device being managed is a scribe. The scribe isnt even available in my country so...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:38 PM   #34
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
I've been testing and found a procedure to solve the issue with thumbnails, at least temporarily:

Firstly, I use Sigil to generate de thumbnail while converting proccess, or you can create the file with correct dimensions.
In Calibre:
Convert the ebook (in my case from epub to azw3)
Transfer it to the Kindle
After disconnect the kindle from pc, the generic thumbnail appears
Connect again the kindle to pc
With file explorer:
Go to Kindle Scribe\Internal Storage\thumbnails\
Sort the content by date. You will see the last file generated after transfering the book and disconnecting the device from pc. The format should be:

thumbnail_....._EBOK_portrait.jpg.tmp.partial

Line ends with ".tmp.partial"
This line corresponds to the last uploaded ebook. It's 0 KB of size.
Select and copy the entire name including the first extension "thumbnail_0b....._portrait.jpg". With the same format that the rest of files.
Rename the thumbnail file created with Sigil or your own method, with the copied text.
Copy the renamed file to this folder and delete the "partial" file.
After disconnecting from pc you will see the correct thumbnail.

I hope this helps whoever wants to see the thumbnails ok
Hi moderators
I don't know if you estimate that this can be uploaded in a dedicated post as a temporary solution to the thumbnail problem in Scribe for the most recent firmwares... although, maybe it's already well known
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:10 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using a Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen with firmware 5.16.6. I added the following CSS to the ePub file's stylesheet using Sigil before converting them to azw3 in calibre 7.5.1 (note that I wrapped the extra CSS in a media query).

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  html {
    margin-left: -50px;
    margin-right: -50px;
    break-inside: avoid !important;
  }
}
I did this with 3 books (Sigil User's Guide, calibre User's Guide and Fated Blades by Ilona Andrews). I opened all of them on the Paperwhite, paged around, switched to some other ebooks and back. So far nothing other than the narrower margins on those 3 were seen.
This CSS code fails on a PW5. If you remove the @media part, it works no problem. I do use -45px instead of -50px.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:30 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This CSS code fails on a PW5. If you remove the @media part, it works no problem. I do use -45px instead of -50px.
Are you using KFX instead of AZW3, perhaps?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Are you using KFX instead of AZW3, perhaps?
I use KF8. I cannot stand KFX.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:03 PM   #38
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Why haven't you switched to % yet since it works for more screen sizes?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:30 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why haven't you switched to % yet since it works for more screen sizes?
I never thought of % and it works as is. I'll never be doing this for a Kindle larger then a PW5.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never thought of % and it works as is. I'll never be doing this for a Kindle larger then a PW5.
It is not a new idea to you. It was discussed extensively in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351310
that you participated in.

In addition, you have been quite aggressive at trying to bully people into doing things your way to support long out of date hardware and software even when it is of no interest to them. And yet here you are discouraging use of techniques that work well with all screen sizes in a time when screen sizes and pixel densities have been increasing for a while and many sizes and several pixel densities are still in wide use..
Old 02-26-2024, 06:21 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is not a new idea to you. It was discussed extensively in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351310
that you participated in.

In addition, you have been quite aggressive at trying to bully people into doing things your way to support long out of date hardware and software even when it is of no interest to them. And yet here you are discouraging use of techniques that work well with all screen sizes in a time when screen sizes and pixel densities have been increasing for a while and many sizes and several pixel densities are still in wide use..
But before then I was using px and since it's working, I'm still using it.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #42
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But before then I was using px and since it's working, I'm still using it.
Then stop harassing others that use px instead of em in other contexts, especially when it works for them.