Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 06:51 PM   #1
Ebookus
Grenadier
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Gesture Manager on Kindle Voyage

I have been trying to figure out the best way to set up gestures on my kindle voyage and would like to share them with you in case you'd like to implement some of these or even recommend changes. I am going for the most natural and intuitive way here.

First off, as the Voyage has page-turn buttons, I have deactivated both taps and swipes for page turns (my ultimate dream). Multi-swipes and double taps are set off, and the menus are activated with swipes only, also no auto-show bottom when top is activated.

Tap corner:
  • Top left: pass through (I haven't found anything useful to have here, maybe custom hidden flows)
  • Top right: toggle bookmark (default)
  • bottom left: toggle front light
  • bottom right: toggle night mode

Long press on corner:
  • top left: pass through (to allow easier word selection for dic look-up or highlights)
  • top right: pass through (ditto)
  • bottom left: File Browser
  • bottom right: toggle wifi

one finger swipe:
  • short diagonal swipe: full screen refresh
  • left edge down/up:decrease/increase brightness
  • right edge down/up: decrease/increase brightness (would be warmth on device that supports it)
  • top edge left: open previous document
  • rest: pass through

two-finger tap corner: all pass through

two-finger swipe: (my favourite ones)
  • rightwards: previous chapter (in line with page-swipe logic)
  • leftwards: next chapter (ditto)
  • downwards: last page (thinking about changing this one)
  • upwards: first page (this one too, but haven't decided what to have instead)
  • north-eastward: table of contents
  • north-westward: page browser
  • south-eastward: book map
  • south-westward: bookmarks

spread and pinch: (unintuitively these don't adjust font size, as I very rarely do this and more importantly, if triggered by accident, it won't mess with the book's layout)
  • spread: pass through
  • pinch: back to previous location

thoughts? suggestions welcome(d).

Last edited by Ebookus; 02-13-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:41 AM   #2
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
I have been trying to figure out the best way to set up gestures on my kindle voyage and would like to share them with you in case you'd like to implement some of these or even recommend changes. I am going for the most natural and intuitive way here.

First off, as the Voyage has page-turn buttons, I have deactivated both taps and swipes for page turns (my ultimate dream). Multi-swipes and double taps are set off, and the menus are activated with swipes only, also no auto-show bottom when top is activated.

Tap corner:
  • Top left: pass through (I haven't found anything useful to have here, maybe custom hidden flows)
  • Top right: toggle bookmark (default)
  • bottom left: toggle front light
  • bottom right: toggle night mode

Long press on corner:
  • top left: pass through (to allow easier word selection for dic look-up or highlights)
  • top right: pass through (ditto)
  • bottom left: File Browser
  • bottom right: toggle wifi

one finger swipe:
  • short diagonal swipe: full screen refresh
  • left edge down/up:decrease/increase brightness
  • right edge down/up: decrease/increase brightness (would be warmth on device that supports it)
  • top edge left: open previous document
  • rest: pass through

two-finger tap corner: all pass through

two-finger swipe: (my favourite ones)
  • rightwards: previous chapter (in line with page-swipe logic)
  • leftwards: next chapter (ditto)
  • downwards: last page (thinking about changing this one)
  • upwards: first page (this one too, but haven't decided what to have instead)
  • north-eastward: table of contents
  • north-westward: page browser
  • south-eastward: book map
  • south-westward: bookmarks

spread and pinch: (unintuitively these don't adjust font size, as I very rarely do this and more importantly, if triggered by accident, it won't mess with the book's layout)
  • spread: pass through
  • pinch: back to previous location

thoughts? suggestions welcome(d).

Some great ideas there! I don't use the swipe gestures, normally ,but your selections have given me some ideas. On my Kobo Libra H20, I have my corners set up as:

Upper left corner: TOC
Upper right corner: Night Mode
Lower left and right: Pass through

Long tap upper left corner: Book Statistics
Long tap upper right corner: Book Information
Long tap lower right corner: Invert page turn buttons (I invert my page turns at night, so I can use the lower one to go forward, that way I can rest the reader on my chest and just hold it at the button. Low effort that way)
Long tap lower left corner: History (sometimes I want to swap books after finishing a chapter or something, I usually have one fiction and one non-fiction going).

I have a Kindle Voyage, and would love to put koreader on it, but I assume it can't be jailbroken (has the latest firmware).
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:21 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Voyage can be jb on any firmware.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:34 PM   #4
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Thanks for your gesture suggestions. Here are a few of my most used:

One finger swipe:

Right edge down: Suspend
Left edge down: Exit KOReader
Right edge up: Next chapter
Left edge up: Previous chapter

Tap bottom right corner: Back

(All subject to revisions at any time)

Last edited by jlinear; 02-14-2024 at 01:37 PM.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
Ebookus
Grenadier
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I like the thinking behind the page turn button inversion, nice one. Also, you can defo jb the voyage on any fw version

I thought about having a gesture for exit koreader but ended up deciding against it, i went with back to file browser and from there i do have a gesture to exit the reader.
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Another way to get quick access to the favorite actions - create a profile with the actions, set it to Show as QuickMenu, and assign to a simple gesture (like Tap bottom right corner).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:43 PM   #7
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Another way to get quick access to the favorite actions - create a profile with the actions, set it to Show as QuickMenu, and assign to a simple gesture (like Tap bottom right corner).
Thanks for this. I'm just getting my feet wet with Profiles. I'm finding creating a Profile and setting it to Show as a QuickMenu very useful. Is it possible to add "Save document settings as default" and "Reset document settings to default" to a Profile "Edit action" so it can be seen in a QuickMenu. I'm thinking it may be a quick way to share settings between books.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote