Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Multiple metadata to ebook

I'm not a programmer and have zero understanding of what it would take to create such a feature, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to have Calibre create an ebook with the metadata from an entire library of ebooks. A TOC would be nice, preferably by Author.

I have a large library and often find myself away from home and laptop with a desire to browse through the books I have, read some summaries and choose what to read next. I'd love to be able to do this right on on my reader.

Any chance?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Maybe Creating Catalogs is what you're looking for?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried creating catalogues in the past, not really understanding what it was to do. It has never worked properly. Calibre used to just shut down when I tried.
I just tried again now and received this message:

ERROR: No books found: No books to catalog
Check job details

Any advice?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are you quite sure there actually are books in your library? Because when I read the error message, it kind of implies there aren't.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Yes, that is a little strange. But, I can assure you I have in excess of 800 books in my Calibre library.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Okay, please excuse my snarkiness before. I got curious and tried to build a catalog from my library. I got the same error. Apparently, Calibre really hates it when one author has inconsistent author_sort values. Click on the jobs icon (lower right corner), then select the failed catalog job and hit the details button. Fix the value for the author shown there and try again.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That error report is much friendlier in 0.7.41.

G
Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

No worries. No snarkiness detected given the message.
It seems that authors with middle names or initials are the trouble makers. I've fixed several now, but it seems I'll have to keep fixing for a while. . .
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

In the tags browser, you can right click on the authors category and select "manage authors". The dialog that pops up allows you to recalculate all the author sort values at once.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
GRiker

Thanks Manichean, I added that to the FAQ.

G
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Hey - thanks a lot. It worked well and it's exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Well, it worked well, but the resulting epub file is a little large and is acting very slow on my 505.
Is it possible to create the catalogue without the cover images?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Well, it worked well, but the resulting epub file is a little large and is acting very slow on my 505.
Is it possible to create the catalogue without the cover images?
You want the Description pages, but without the cover thumbs? You realize that you can exclude the Description pages in the E-book options tab.

How many books are in your catalog?

G
Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Yes, I've seen that I can omit the descriptions, but I actually want the summary info. What I don't need are the covers.

I have about 850 books in the library. I'd also be satisfied just creating several catalogs for different tags. I've tried doing this by excluding certain tags, but it still produces a catalog with all my books. I'm doing something wrong, but just can't figure out what it is.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
GRiker

See the first post in Creating Catalogs, Customizing the Descriptions template and Section lists, Customizing the Description page. Following the example, customize your template.xhtml file to remove {thumb}.

Please post any followup questions in that thread, including more specific details of any problems you're having excluding tags.

G