Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
PW Users....

With the new PW coming out soon I thinking of getting one even tho it has no speakers I do have a couple questions.

1 How much Storage Space on board? .. Looked cant find

2 Have anyone had those lights/bulbs go out? How was it fixed? I don't want to buy it if the bulbs blow after a few years & cant be fixed!

I have a K3 & use those M-Edge lights with it had 2 where the bulbs blew after a few months use. Lucky I can stock up at $3 each. Unlucky they been discontinued so I know they old to begin with! & I soon wont be able to get them
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
4GB of storage

It uses LED's, not light bulbs. While anything can fail the expected lifespan of the LED's (50,000 to 100,000 hours) should mean the battery should fail long before the light would.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LEDs is what the M-Edge uses but they do go out! one I got lasted a month! Another I got at the same time still works But I don't know IF they go out on a ereader..PW... IF they can be changed... do you?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it's the M-Edge e-Luminator you have it shouldn't be going through LED's (didn't even know they were user replaceable). I'd venture that something is wrong with your units electronics.

Can the LED's in the PW be changed? It's not something that would be replaceable by the average user, no.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

No I cant replace them I Trash them BUT Huge difference in a $3 light & a PW at $100+

Why is my question so hard! How Long do these lights last? Esp in a PW?
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps that case was bad-quality? Amazon will certainly go to great lengths to ensure all their Kindles work as expected, they have a lot more motivation to get things right.

AFAIK no one has reported their PW blowing out.
If yours does, complain to Amazon, and they will be more horrified than you are (and offer to replace it).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why is my question so hard! How Long do these lights last? Esp in a PW?
I already told you the rated life of the LEDs is supposed to be 50,000 to 100,000 hours.

I have read of zero cases on any lighted reader (Kindle, Kobo, or smaller mfg) where someone's LED's stopped working.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-18-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Well I hope they use Hot off the press...so to speak ...LED cause that's like 6 months reading time for me! I need to really think this over. I don't want to be stuck a yr up the road with a useless reader. I had 600 hours on the couple of M-Edge Lights that burned out.... guessing shelf life don't help them.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 06-19-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Well I hope they use Hot off the press...so to speak ...LED cause that's like 6 months reading time for me!
You might need some remedial maths there...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Really how do you get that?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Really how do you get that?
If you read 24 hours a day 50,000 hours would be like 2,083 days
Old 06-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I READ 18 hours a day & the one I was talking about the ones that Lasted 30 days! I rounded it up cause some times I sleep even less .... So IF they put Crappy ones in that lived there lives on a shelf ...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Shelved LEDs would not die in six months.

And Amazon is not in the habit of regularly making crappy devices anyway.
Stop worrying. I cannot fathom why you think there is something to worry about.
End of story.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Maybe from all the Bad posts on this site & Amazon ... Besides I am a worrier! I don't want another case of Vanishing books nor lights failing. I know there are folks on this site that had PW from the beginning... wish they chime in.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Buy from Amazon and take the extended warranty that way you are covered for at least three years. I expect the PW will last longer though.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote