Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
cgn
cgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy bluecgn can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: h20, kindle paperwhite
Kobo h2O speed question.

I am a new owner of a Kobo h20 (moving from Kindle). Love the device overall..bigger screen is fantastic, and love epub support. One complain is that that the device is sluggish compare to the kindle... Page turns take longer (and don't register sometimes),book opening takes longer..etc.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this; slower cpu, slower touch sensors, not optimized code ? Is Koreader I saw on dev forum any faster ?
cgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The epub reader is generally slower than the kepub reader, it is noticeable with opening the book and page turning, although it can depend on the structure of the individual book to some extent. Since the Kindle is reading books in its native format, a fair comparison would be with a Kobo reading a book in its native kepub format.

However I don't think the epub speed is a problem for reading, I find for turning pages with the epub reader it is just a matter of getting used to the timing and releasing my finger from the swipe a fraction earlier than with the kepub reader. Opening an epub book is only slow the first time, once the epub is in memory it opens almost as fast as a kepub.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I tap pages turn, does not seem slow to me at all. I bought the reader to read not for massive computing power to solve the mysteries of the universe! Although I certainly read books that help to imagine them! The bottom line is simple poorly formed epubs or large ones do seem to consume some time but honestly page turns have never been noticed by me to be sluggish. Two thoughts come to mind regarding your issue, could the unit you have be defective? Or could the epub in question be too large?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn View Post
I am a new owner of a Kobo h20 (moving from Kindle). Love the device overall..bigger screen is fantastic, and love epub support. One complain is that that the device is sluggish compare to the kindle... Page turns take longer (and don't register sometimes),book opening takes longer..etc.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this; slower cpu, slower touch sensors, not optimized code ? Is Koreader I saw on dev forum any faster ?

As you owned a Kindle before I'm not surprised that you noticed this.
Kobo readers are known to be relatively (a bit) slower than those of competitors.
If you keep on reading you will probably get used to it.

For example check the column "Umblättern epub/AZW":
Vergleich: EBook-Reader im Test

Last edited by Anak; 10-27-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: quoted jackastor
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn View Post
?
I'm new to Kobo (I recently bought a Kobo Glo) but, while finishing reading my first book on it, I've noticed the same "sluggishness." I don't mind the slower speed, but it is irritating when the same pressure tap doesn't always work -- sometimes I have to tap again ... and sometimes I have to tap a third time. I've never used a touch eInk reader before where this was an issue. So I don't mind the sluggishness, but the inconsistency is definitely irritating.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm new to Kobo (I recently bought a Kobo Glo) but, while finishing reading my first book on it, I've noticed the same "sluggishness." I don't mind the slower speed, but it is irritating when the same pressure tap doesn't always work -- sometimes I have to tap again ... and sometimes I have to tap a third time. I've never used a touch eInk reader before where this was an issue. So I don't mind the sluggishness, but the inconsistency is definitely irritating.
Welcome to Kobo.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You might try swiping instead of tapping. Both work for me, but swiping allows more precise timing: the page turn is not triggered until I lift my finger from the screen, so I can begin the swipe before I finish reading the page and release just as I am reading the last few words. Only a very short swipe is needed.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Welcome to Kobo.
They have so much going for them -- screen and fonts are great -- it just seems like they need a little more "polish."
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You might try swiping instead of tapping.
I'm not a big fan of swiping -- which is why I always use my keys on my Sony T2 instead of the screen controls for turning pages. But I guess I could try to get used to it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
They have so much going for them -- screen and fonts are great -- it just seems like they need a little more "polish."
That's the frustrating thing. They almost have it. Then they let it slip through their fingers...

Last edited by murg; 10-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
As you owned a Kindle before I'm not surprised that you noticed this.
Kobo readers are known to be relatively (a bit) slower than those of competitors.
If you keep on reading you will probably get used to it.

For example check the column "Umblättern epub/AZW":
Vergleich: EBook-Reader im Test
Based on the site, the Kobo H2O is slower than the first Paperwhite and Kobo Glo.

That is pretty disappointing if the data is accurate. Anyone know how does the Glo hd stack up?
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I have both a Glo and a H2O and that's not what I see.
Can't say about the Paperwhite as I've never owned one, but I believe those users that have tried both Kindles and Kobo e-readers almost always agreed that the Kindle's interface is snappier.

Last edited by mathil; 05-18-2015 at 07:19 AM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Based on the site, the Kobo H2O is slower than the first Paperwhite and Kobo Glo.

That is pretty disappointing if the data is accurate. Anyone know how does the Glo hd stack up?
This site (chip.de) is crap. They have no idea about e-readers (nor do they have much about anything else, btw). If you want a good german site for opinions and comparisons e-readerwise, go there:
http://www.lesen.net/
or here:
http://allesebook.de/
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
kepubs were faster on the previous firmware. Page turns were comparable to my paperwhite, but it's definitely slowed down for me with the latest update. It bothered me at first because it wouldn't turn when I expected it to, but after using it for a bit now I've adapted to it so it no longer bothers me. This may be the case for you too. Kindles are snappier in general though, as others have said.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:03 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post

Why is it you persist on trying to find fault with the H2O?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote