Lee3
Lee3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Sync Required - to download required handwriting recognition resources

The wifi on my Elipsa 2e doesnt work.

When trying to use Notebooks, it prompts me

Quote:
Sync Required
Sync your device to download the required handwriting recognition resources.
I have updated to the latest firmware by using a USB, which is fine as its how I load ebooks anyway.

Is there a way I can download the handwriting recognition resources manually and sideload?

Does anybody know the directory the handwriting resources files go into?
Im willing to try and manually drag and drop if there isnt a current known solution.

Im not able to use Wifi.
Lee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You may want to check a couple of threads. One thread is Sideloading Handwriting Recognition System to use My Notebooks in Libra Colour? and the other thread is notebook functionality .
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2024, 07:14 PM   #3
Lee3

so it seems the furthest you got in those threads was discovering there are some database entries that are being written to allow the manual copying of files to work, we need to try to work out what those database changes are, perhaps with some datetime checking before and after to see whats been added/modified.

Additionally to this, Ive contacted KOBO direct and they have said they've escalated this issue to see if the technical team can provide some assistance on doing this manually via files and USB, I will wait there response via email and post back.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
Lee3

Ive contacted kobo about this, they have escalated this matter to the technical team, who hopfully can provide a manual USB file solution.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:20 PM   #5
Lee3

@DNSB

So you've been able to ascertain what and where the files go, but not the database entries that seem to allow it to function.

Can somebody not perform a datetime check on the database entries of a kobo device before and after a Wifi sync is done, to see what changes were made to the Database?

I would be willing to pay some bitcoin if it helped, just to resolve this issue for the community as a whole

Last edited by Lee3; 05-27-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Advert
Old 05-27-2024, 07:27 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you mention wifi problems, could you describe what exactly you are seeing

Years ago I came up with this solution for my issues https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247678

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:05 PM   #7
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
For what's worth, I actually reported this to Kobo technical support. A few days later, I received a short reply basically instructing me to "reset" the device to update the firmware and to retry. Totally useless advice.

Watching this thread with intense interest... I am not alone with this problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3 View Post
Ive contacted kobo about this, they have escalated this matter to the technical team, who hopfully can provide a manual USB file solution.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-27-2024 at 08:15 PM.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The wifi on my Elipsa 2e doesnt work.

Is there a way I can download the handwriting recognition resources manually and sideload?

Im not able to use Wifi.
No, you can't exactly. The only solution I found was to completely copy everything from an ereader that had updated to the new ereader (both Sage, but I have an elipsa too). Copying files didn't work. The databases need updated.

Even then there were errors till after a couple of resets. Then I could delete all the extra ebooks because I had to copy them also or copying the databases didn't work properly.

However now it doesn't matter. I never use the Nebo based notebooks on Sage or Elipsa now, only finger & touch key based highlight and annotation of epubs. The Nebo on a digitiser enabled Android with Pen, or an ipad with Pencil is so hugely better. Real time preview of conversion, proper import/export of PDFs and conversion of writing on them.

The eink technology is too slow. I verified that on an Android eink with other applications. It's only good for reading and direct text annotation.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other interesting thing was that the original Elipsa I got didn't need an initial separate download of the custom MyWrite Nebo files, but all the Sages didn't even have the associated subdirectories. So no Sage had working notebooks without the sync triggered by opening Notebooks tab with pen. Copying all the created ones from a working Sage to a new Sage without them didn't work at all.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #10
Lee3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you mention wifi problems, could you describe what exactly you are seeing

Years ago I came up with this solution for my issues https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247678
Hi Pete, my wifi module is fully broke, the sync will never work as the issue is higher up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, you can't exactly. The only solution I found was to completely copy everything from an ereader that had updated to the new ereader (both Sage, but I have an elipsa too). Copying files didn't work. The databases need updated.
If its just some database entries, a solution doesnt seem to far away.
Can anybody with a working kobo elipsa 2e, or for that matter, another kobo model, provide there database files?
I can compare it to mine and try copy the table/entries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The other interesting thing was that the original Elipsa I got didn't need an initial separate download of the custom MyWrite Nebo files, but all the Sages didn't even have the associated subdirectories. So no Sage had working notebooks without the sync triggered by opening Notebooks tab with pen. Copying all the created ones from a working Sage to a new Sage without them didn't work at all.
Is Nebo the actual package that kobo refers to when it says "handwriting recognition resources"
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Mywrite: A company
Nebo: A note taking app with writing, shapes, maths etc conversion and editing.
"handwriting recognition resources": Various files and database settings used by Nebo. It includes dictionaries and other stuff. Nebo have dramatically improved it several times on the Android and iOS versions since I got the Elipsa and Sage. They have hardly improved.

The Kobo version is seriously cut down so that it works at all on eink. It was originally iOS only and Android, Windows and maybe Mac added. Not any device, but ones with compatible high resolution digitiser hardware, unlike Google's Gboard which can convert squiggles done with a finger tip to text. On the full versions you can specify the language of a notebook (and always includes English) and add words to the dictionary for that language. On Kobo I could only get Irish accents áéíóúÁÉÍÓÚ accepted by changing the Kobo GUI to Spanish, which imediately triggered Download "handwriting recognition resources" as soon as I went to Notebooks. That worked as soon as I turned on WiFi, even though "sideloadedMode=true" was active (my Books = home page, no Discover). That worked even though there was no Irish dictionary because Spanish has accents. I don't actually know much Irish, in fact hardly any, but places and names widely use them and the words without are different, such as bán (=white) and ban (woman).

Then because you can't change the language of a notebook, that still worked well in that one when I changed back to English GUI. New notebooks then sometimes accepted the accent. It's a fada (síneadh fada).

I think stuff in inaccessible places is updated the first time as copying ALL the databases, configuations and files resulted in fatal errors on even "My Books", till the destination ereader was restarted twice.

I've cloned other Kobos without the Notebooks and not had that.

Also there is a LOT of subdirectories and files.

So, yes it did work eventually, but I was copying from another Sage that already had fully functional Notebooks.

Also it seems certain actions (like changing GUI language) triggers the demand to turn on WiFi to sync/download "handwriting recognition resources".

I think you'd be best just using it for PDFs and ebooks. My conclusion anyway, is that Elipsa and Sage are pretty poor at Nebo notobooks compared to an iPad, and best I've tried is the TCL Nxtpaper 11 Android with TCL Pen. Far better than iPad and beats Elipsa for PDFs. Nearly comparable to eink for mono text.

I use the Sage for all ebook reading, proofing and annotations. I'll never used Elipsa for notes after getting the Sage (and the Elipsa is better than the reMarkable). I'll likely never use the Sage for Notes now I have the TCL Nxtpaper 11. Nebo on it has real time preview of conversion, user dictionaries, PDF import/export, multiple languages at the same time, better hierarchical management, rapid export to other apps or email (K9 mail on my Android). Kobo version has none of that. Also export is slow on Kobo. Instant on iOS or Android.

The eink is also too slow. It's about 100x slower than decent iOS or Android screens now. Also only 14 shades, black and white vs 16M colours/shades etc.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #12
Lee3

I dont want to use a ipad for note taking, I dont mind the delay of the sage / elipse 2e.

In life things are always going to improve, or have alternatives, I dont want to continuously chase the next best thing, because next month, something else comes out.

My elipse 2e is still good technology, and I would like to try and get the notebook working, instead of having 3 different devices for diff things
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I dont want to use a ipad for note taking, I dont mind the delay of the sage / elipse 2e.
No, I wouldn't use the iPad either.

But the Sage or Elipsa or reMarkable are terrible, appalling, for note taking compared to the TCL Nxtpaper 11.

Have you a working Sage or Elipsa that you've used Advanced notebook on to know you'd be happy? The Elipsa is also worse than the Sage for notes.

Though the Sage can't be beaten for reading novels.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Telling him not to use the device he already has is not very helpful, unless you're offering to buy him a TCL Nxtpaper 11 yourself. His question is related to getting the notebooks to work without Wi-Fi, and there is currently no known solution to that problem.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To ask a quick question, is your Elipsa 2E out of warranty?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote