Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-04-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Exclamation Factory Reset after Software Update U700.6.8.3246

I received an Open Box PocketBook Era (PB700) yesterday.
  • I set the device up offline.
  • It shipped with Firmware: 6.8.2911 (January 12, 2024).
  • It had some 1400 eBooks already on it.
I was confused but I thought maybe they were public domain books that PocketBook offered when a device is set up with a certain region time zone.

When I looked through the eBooks on the device, I was surprised that some of them didn't seem like eBooks that could be offered for free in the USA, since I had purchased some of them quite recently from major publishers.

Out of interest, I continued to set up the device to see if the device was not properly factory reset OR if there is a factory reset issue.
  • I loaded 30 eBooks.
  • I made notes. I installed KOReader.
  • I connected to Wi-Fi (a temporary Wi-Fi that is not my real network).
  • I manually updated the device to Firmware: 6.8.3246 (March 14, 2024).

I then factory reset the device.

When I set it up again today, all of these items I loaded persisted after the factory reset:
  • All 30 of the eBooks
  • All downloaded RSS News feeds
  • All Notes / Annotations taken in the 30 eBooks
  • All manually loaded TTS voices

Luckily, the device seems to have deleted the Wi-Fi Network SSID and password, but I am not tech savvy enough to be sure.

Questions:
With other eReaders I have used, my understanding is that if the information on the disk cannot be truly "erased"(=overwritten with enough data), then it is scrambled/encrypted after Factory Reset. If the device is logged in to an account (i.e., NOOK or Kindle), then the connected account has the key to unlock any of the content.
Even if this is because I did not sign into a PB account, is this expected and normal behavior?

In any case, I do not think this is normal behavior for an unregistered eReader. I will always be concerned with selling my Readers secondhand now.

Besides deleting and factoring resetting and filling up the drive with large files filled with nothing, what should I do to ensure this doesn't happen when I go to sell an eReader (especially a PocketBook)? I have experienced external HDDs not being truly erased after using a 7-pass wipe from Mac OS, so in that case, I physically destroyed the HDDs entirely. But with an eReader I want to sell...I don't want to destroy it.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:24 AM   #2
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
I don't own a PocketBook device anymore, but before selling such a device you can and should do both reset to factory defaults and format the internal storage. You might find the format option (I can not say for sure) under About device -> Memory. There should be a format internal memory option.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2024, 03:24 AM   #3
Ruff_d
Ruff_d began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IC3
If you buy a new Pocketbook, you will receive a already filled library (over 50 books). Therefore it could be the normal state.... Of course a brand new pocketbook is usually sealed with plastic cover. If it wasn't the case, then it's used.
I had the same experience with my color 3 2 weeks ago. I got an open one. Just write the support. They will replace it in 2-3 days.
Ruff_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
basically you have two reset options, if you want to delete the content, you have to choose the format of the internal storage.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:03 PM   #5
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
I don't own a PocketBook device anymore, but before selling such a device you can and should do both reset to factory defaults and format the internal storage. You might find the format option (I can not say for sure) under About device -> Memory. There should be a format internal memory option.
The only option is to Factory Reset on the PocketBook is to Factory Reset to default. If I plug it into a Mac and use Disk Utility to format the drive, I think Mac leaves behind hidden file traces of .Spotlight etc., but I guess that is okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff_d View Post
If you buy a new Pocketbook, you will receive a already filled library (over 50 books). Therefore it could be the normal state.... Of course a brand new pocketbook is usually sealed with plastic cover. If it wasn't the case, then it's used.
I had the same experience with my color 3 2 weeks ago. I got an open one. Just write the support. They will replace it in 2-3 days.
I purchased Open Box because it was slightly cheaper. I compared the 53 free books on offer for English by PocketBook (Link Here: https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/support) against the 1400 ePUBs loaded onto my device. No matches; so they were from the previous owner it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
basically you have two reset options, if you want to delete the content, you have to choose the format of the internal storage.
I will format the drive using a computer then. This shouldn't erase the software partition, I hope.

Advert
Old 06-05-2024, 03:05 PM   #6
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would be very careful about manually formatting the internal memory, because if the format is chosen incorrectly (fat32) it can be damaged and the device will not boot into the OS because it will not have access to essential configuration files, always use the format via the device menu, not via the PC.
Old 06-06-2024, 01:53 PM   #7
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:
I would be very careful about manually formatting the internal memory, because if the format is chosen incorrectly (fat32) it can be damaged and the device will not boot into the OS because it will not have access to essential configuration files, always use the format via the device menu, not via the PC.
Since there is no Format option on the device itself, and you've warned off using a computer to format the device, I'll do multiple Factory Resets and loading of dummy files before selling or returning.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:08 PM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
Since there is no Format option on the device itself, and you've warned off using a computer to format the device, I'll do multiple Factory Resets and loading of dummy files before selling or returning.
You definitely have the option of internal memory format in the menu, try looking here:

Go to Settings : Maintenance -> Factory Reset. Settings -> About Device -> Memory -> Formatting Internal Memory = Delete the internal memory, there are no precedentes files

Or here : https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/faq

PS: Of course, do as you prefer, I just wanted to warn you about the possible consequences of choosing the wrong format when manually formatting via PC. However, good luck Girafe

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 06-06-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:30 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
You definitely have the option of internal memory format in the menu, try looking here:

Go to Settings : Maintenance -> Factory Reset. Settings -> About Device -> Memory -> Formatting Internal Memory = Delete the internal memory, there are no precedentes files

PS: Of course, do as you prefer, I just wanted to warn you about the possible consequences of choosing the wrong format when manually formatting via PC. However, good luck Girafe

Good to know. I recently bought a lightly used Pocketbook Era off eBay and I've never owned a Pocketbook device before. No idea if I'll need to reset it, or format it, or not.

It hasn't arrived yet, but tracking says it's on the way and I'm quite excited! Always wanted to try one out, but being well set for readers at the moment, (Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2), couldn't justify buying new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:06 PM   #10
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:

OK, thank you for the step-by-step menu walk-through to find the Format Internal Memory option! Now off to look into customization.

Tags
pb700, pocketbook