Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Retain reading stats for deleted books

I did search, but didn't find anything very recent, and couldn't determine if this had been addressed in any of the patch requests:

Is there a way to maintain reading statistics for books that are completed, and then removed from the device? Does this (only) work for books purchased from Kobo, and not side-loaded books? Is there a patch that can enable this functionality? Is it even feasible?

Book stats are pretty useless if they get reset when a book is removed from the device.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
I did search, but didn't find anything very recent, and couldn't determine if this had been addressed in any of the patch requests:

Is there a way to maintain reading statistics for books that are completed, and then removed from the device? Does this (only) work for books purchased from Kobo, and not side-loaded books? Is there a patch that can enable this functionality? Is it even feasible?

Book stats are pretty useless if they get reset when a book is removed from the device.
There is no way to do what you want. Even for library loans, the stats are transferred to the preview of the book downloaded when you return the library loan. If you remove the preview, the stats also get removed.

The next question would be how do you plan on accessing the stats for the deleted book?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is no way to do what you want. Even for library loans, the stats are transferred to the preview of the book downloaded when you return the library loan. If you remove the preview, the stats also get removed.

The next question would be how do you plan on accessing the stats for the deleted book?
Thanks, David,

I'm more interested in retaining cumulative gross data, which should theoretically be presented in the "All Items" section of Reading Stats:

34 books finished
500 total hours reading

Instead, I'm presented with that data only for books still physically present on the device, which is a bit silly. Does everyone keep finished books on their device, just for the stats?
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm more interested in retaining cumulative gross data, which should theoretically be presented in the "All Items" section of Reading Stats:

34 books finished
500 total hours reading

Instead, I'm presented with that data only for books still physically present on the device, which is a bit silly. Does everyone keep finished books on their device, just for the stats?
Agree with this, I like the stats overview but I generally delete books after reading (they are all stored in my calibre library anyway) and so the stats disappear. Seems a bit dumb!
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since I transfer my reading stats to calibre from my Kobo ereaders, I can look at the books using either Finished or read percentage in calibre.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks, David,

34 books finished
500 total hours reading

The stats are for books on the device. If you remove a book, the stats stop being displayed. There might be some stats for the book still in the database, and restoring a book to exactly the same location might reuse these stats, but, I have never checked.

One of the reason for this is that the stats are not synced between devices or the apps logged into your account. The reading status for purchased books is, but, not how long you have read the book. And Kobo make no attempt to backup or sync anything for sideloaded books. That also means if you do a factory reset, then you will lose the stats.

As to keeping finished books on my device, yes I do. But, that's more just not removing them. I have plenty of space on the devices I use, so there is no reason to not have them there. And I do reread or look things up when reading books that are later in the series. In the past, I used the occasions were I needed to do a factory reset as a time to do a cleanup, but, that isn't needed much now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote