Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Clara HD vs Kobo Mini. Got any pics?

Sometimes I pine for my old Kobo Mini, which I sold ages ago. However, looking at the dimensions, it really seems that my Kobo Clara HD is extremely close in comparison.

I can’t find any photographic comparisons online, however. Only specs versus specs. Obviously, where specs are concerned, the Clara HD triumphs. Why wouldn’t it? It’s newer with a better screen, resolution, and processor. The 2E would be even better. But it’s the size comparison that I’m curious about.

Comparing the dimensions, the Mini seems smaller, thicker, but lighter:

Clara HD: 110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm 166g
Mini: 102 X 133 x 10mm 134g

Does anybody know of a side by side photographic comparison?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:29 AM   #2
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Sorry for bad english - it's Google translate. I have Kobo Mini, but Clara HD didn't get, unfortunately. But a 2 years ago I had Pocketbook 627 (Touch Lux 4), and in size, weight, PB 627 and Clara HD are almost identical. I compared them - PB and Kobo Mini. Honestly - Mini seems even more visually. Easily removable back cover thickens Mini, big frames...30 g weight do not affect long reading with one hand. Therefore, you can not miss the Mini - it is not as miniature in fact as it seems But i love him anyway))
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 03:52 AM   #3
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
But, if you want to buy a Mini, then get ready for problems:
1. It is impossible to find a case if you need one. I was lucky to buy a Mini with a case - hard, under the skin.
2. It will be hard to find a battery. They are, you can find a different size (they fit in the Mini), but you won’t be able to just take it and buy it - you will need to search it.
For light, if you need it - I bought this for myself - https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13WlNX...Hq6zKppXaK.jpg One AA battery is enough for 40 hours somewhere. At Aliexpress about $12. But it's realy cool.
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:13 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have a Sony PRS350 which is a similar or identical screen to later Mini screen, but a smaller case. Battery is still useable, but I got a Y-Ben P47L 4.7″ eink (8G no touch) as pocket replacement.
I've never seen a Mini for sale.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:58 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
For light, if you need it - I bought this for myself - https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13WlNX...Hq6zKppXaK.jpg One AA battery is enough for 40 hours somewhere. At Aliexpress about $12. But it's realy cool.
I remember having one of those! I think I sold it with my Mini. They were indispensable.

I forgot the Mini doesn’t have a backlight. That’s a mark against it.
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 05:01 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a Sony PRS350 which is a similar or identical screen to later Mini screen, but a smaller case. Battery is still useable, but I got a Y-Ben P47L 4.7″ eink (8G no touch) as pocket replacement.
I've never seen a Mini for sale.
I remember people raving about their Sony PRS350s years back. It’s a good eReader from what I’ve heard.

I’ve found a few Kobo Mini on eBay even now. Usually they’re out of Canada with outrageous shipping costs.

I just want to see a picture of a Clara HD next to a Mini for comparison. However, the Mini is so old, there isn’t much cause for anybody to make a comparison of them side-by-side. I was kind of hoping somebody on the forum would have the two models on hand or maybe somebody already had made the side by side comparison in a thread I haven’t been able to find.

Last edited by Cootey; 02-22-2023 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I find the mini and any other 5" screen to be too small. 6" is as small as I'd go eben though I prefer larger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a Sony PRS350 which is a similar or identical screen to later Mini screen, but a smaller case.
The 350 is much sleeker than the Mini and when I first got a Mini I didn’t like it nearly as much as the 350, in part because it was bulkier but also because the software didn’t have a crop function as the Sony did and the part of the screen usable for text was irritatingly small. But once the Mini software updated and margins could be set it because useful. I still use it and not the 350 because of the customizable margins, but mostly because of direct downloads from Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I just want to see a picture of a Clara HD next to a Mini for comparison. However, the Mini is so old, there isn’t much cause for anybody to make a comparison of them side-by-side. I was kind of hoping somebody on the forum would have the two models on hand or maybe somebody already had made the side by side comparison in a thread I haven’t been able to find.
I don’t have a Clara but I can say that the Glo HD is only marginally larger than the Mini in their OEM cases, in part because the OEM case for the Mini is oversized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I find the mini and any other 5" screen to be too small. 6" is as small as I'd go eben though I prefer larger.
Aside from resolution quality, the size of the older devices doesn’t provide much of an advantage over current 6” models, although at the time they were noticeably smaller and more portable. When I first went over to Sony with the PRS-X50 line, it was because I found that 7” for home and 5” for out and about was the best of both worlds.

I’m in the camp that would love an updated 5” reader, to 300 dpi and current screen/overall size ratio. I wouldn’t even need a light. No buttons, obviously, as they’d only add bulk.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, I like an 8″ in the home and visiting family and smaller 4.7″ Y-Ben P47L if travelling.
Choice is good and having multiple sizes (just like paper) is great when you can afford it. I'd not give up any of the sizes I have on eink, except maybe the 9.7″ DGX (but it's used to test mobi as it's dumber than the K3 at mobi). A 13+″ size at 200 to 300 dpi would replace my 10″. I didn't fancy the Sony DPT models due to walled garden/PDF nature and the low 150 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Just the opposite here. I recently purchased a 2E to replace my Mini as I am forever spoiled by front lighting. Presently I am not in the same location of both devices but will be later today.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:57 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Comparing the dimensions, the Mini seems smaller, thicker, but lighter:

Clara HD: 110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm 166g
Mini: 102 X 133 x 10mm 134g

Does anybody know of a side by side photographic comparison?
Here are some pictures (attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	length.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	199864   Click image for larger version

Name:	thickness.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	199865   Click image for larger version

Name:	width.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	199866  

Last edited by rcentros; 02-22-2023 at 11:59 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for doing this.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks man! The mini is so cute. But man, I need a front light. I waited until that was a feature before purchasing my first reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Wow, that picture really makes me wish for a modern Mini w/ Carta 1200 (or better) and a front-light w/ warmth adjustment. I’d buy it today if it were announced.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote