Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 05:14 AM   #1
gianni_1
Connoisseur
gianni_1 began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
open files with correct program

Hi, is there a way to tell Calibre which program it should open the files with (for example .mp3 files with Windows Media Player) and not give an error because it finds the file already open?
I have already tried to select the .mp3 files with the right mouse button and select "open .mp3 files with windows media player", but it continues to give me an error every time I open one.
Thanks
gianni_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:31 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try this ==>> Configuring and using Calibre's built in Open With - MobileRead Forums

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2024, 04:55 AM   #3
gianni_1
Connoisseur
gianni_1 began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hello BR,
thanks for your answer.
I tried following the instructions you indicated, it works with some files and doesn't work with others of the same type. A curiosity: if I told Calibre with which external program it should open a type of file, what need would I have in defining shortcuts?
gianni_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you have skewed expectations.

There are 3 ways Calibre can open your book.
The first 2 are set via Preferences: Behavior (Right column): Tick means Calibre uses its viewer. No Tick use your OS (default for file type). This is what is used for a View / double click. << You need to correct the OS default handler if this is wrong

The 3rd is Openwith, where YOU setup (1 or more) individual choices for a format and are presented with a menu that you select with. This is the one you need to determine everything.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianni_1 View Post
Hello BR,
thanks for your answer.
I tried following the instructions you indicated, it works with some files and doesn't work with others of the same type.
It probably means the viewer/player lacks the wherewithal to render a particular file… for audio/video that's usually means the player is missing a codec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianni_1 View Post
A curiosity: if I told Calibre with which external program it should open a type of file, what need would I have in defining shortcuts?
Same need as any using other keyboard shortcut, you don't have a mouse super-glued to your dominant hand

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2024, 01:22 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Same need as any using other keyboard shortcut, you don't have a mouse super-glued to your dominant hand
On the gripping hand…
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote