View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 07:49 AM   #4027
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Now, as far as Georgette Heyer...

The Unknown Ajax (absolute favorite), The Grand Sophy, Beauvallet, The Talisman Ring, and of course, These Old Shades and Devil's Cub. But, as with Mary Stewart, I like almost all, except a very very few. Which reminds me, I haven't seen what used to be Sourcebook's annual "Georgette Heyer birthday sale" in a long time. I have most of Heyer's books in e-book now anyway, but just thinking about it made me realize I haven't seen that sale in several years ???
Full confession: I've never been able to cozy up to Heyer. For me, her writing clobbers you with its Regency details; it screams, "Look at how meticulous my research has been!" to the extent that it takes away from the story. It draws attention to itself in a way that Austen, for example, contemporary Regency, does not.

My favorite Heyer thus far has been The Corinthian which was fun. So, that said, Ajax was available at my library; I've downloaded it and will give it a go. I bought a bunch of Heyers in those Sourcebook sales, but Ajax wasn't among them. And I've also been aware that those sales ceased a while back.

One more Heyer comment: I've read most of her mysteries and while they have some Golden Age appeal, they're not among the best of that subgenre.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote