View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 05:57 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm willing to bet that FreeFileSync is nothing more than a GUI on top of rsync internals. Not everybody needs a GUI. Some of use run servers that don't even support GUI's.

I have no problem with people using GUI's if they need or want that. Problems can occur if a GUI wrapper project is later abandoned and not readily available for a platform where you need it. If that happens, the people who know how to use the underlying program(s) that the GUI wrappers hide are going to be miles ahead in the game. But still, nothing wrong with using a GUI, especially if you know the underlying program(s) as well. Then you're really set.

I see GUI's as best for (1) Convenience (sometimes), and (2) New users or users that rarely use that functionality and thus benefit with point-n-click, menu drop-downs and other handholding and help to get them through the process.

That being said, I'm certainly using a GUI right now to respond to this post - a web browser. I'm most certainly not invoking HTTP links manually using wget or curl or something like that. Web browsers are "convenient" like that.
Yes, I've used rsync directly, but grsync is widely supported/distributed and is a very handy GUI for rsync. So there is less to mess up. I can't think why anyone on Linux would want some other solution.

Similarly I use Filezilla on Linux, though the functionality of SFTP / FTP is available without it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote